~Abstract~

Fi BTL tinsel broke

Looks like I desoldered a tinsel lead from my BTL...on accident.

It looks like it's too short...I resoldered it already but I can't turn it up loud or I get a scraping from (guessing) the lead being too short causing the cone/coil to rock.

Can I just desolder the lead from the landing, resolder a piece of 12ga stranded wire to the landing and crimp the lead to that?

Or should I order 5 meters of tinsel from an online vendor and try to desolder the lead from a difficult spot near the cone and try to do it "right"?

Thoughts? Thanks.

I've never seen a tinsel lead cause a coil to rub...

Pics of said desoldering? And why on earth were you desoldering on a BTL?

No pics handy...(I'm guessing) the sub tinsel got hot enough to desolder itself (thru loud play)...and it did. Doesn't look burnt or frayed...just the solder was almost all gone and the lead was hanging loose.

When I soldered it back, I noticed the lead didn't feel like it would be long enough to accommodate the subs throw. Turning up the volume seems to corroborate that....I imagine the lead being too short so when the sub gets moving, the lead isn't long enough, causing the sub to rock/rub and make a scratchy sound.

fwiw if I push on the sub with my hands there is no characteristic "blown" sound. And low volume play don't produce this noise.

Sounds like mad clipping...

Maybe...don't think so though.

140amp Ohiogen alt to 2 2150cca batteries to an SAZ1500 (I have an extra, should I use it?)...to a loaded 15" BTL in a 4cube box tuned to 32hz. In the back of my wagon.

Could be clipping...but I try to pay attention to what I play and I don't let it clip...clipping destroys speakers, you know.

It started going intermittent (couldn't see anything wrong)...then one day it quit. That's when I saw the tinsel pulled from the landing.

I'm thinking the leads are too short...they were barely long enough for me to resolder.

Edited by ~Abstract~

clipping destroys speakers, you know.

irony. clipping destroys speaker and here we are talking about a malfunctioning speaker.

pics would help us better understand. the lead is just as long as it was when it came from the factory. so perhaps you soldered it too far, or oversoldered it so it is less flexible. you could make an extension of the terminal with some copper wire and solder to that, pending it doesnt cause an obstruction.

also, does your btl have the spl option?

clipping destroys speakers, you know.

irony. clipping destroys speaker and here we are talking about a malfunctioning speaker.

pics would help us better understand. the lead is just as long as it was when it came from the factory. so perhaps you soldered it too far, or oversoldered it so it is less flexible. you could make an extension of the terminal with some copper wire and solder to that, pending it doesnt cause an obstruction.

also, does your btl have the spl option?

No SPL option...music

Your part about an extension is what I'm thinking about doing. Should I purchase some actual tinsel and add an inch or so to all leads...or should I just do this one lead with some spare speaker wire?

How are the gains and bassboost set? :bandwagon2:

Everything's maxed. :noob:

bassboost is set to 0...gain is set to unity with the saz100.4 running my CDT's active. I've had the system for awhile (3 years)...and I don't run it super loud...

I noticed wear on the spider and felt pads...from both sets of leads...

sub amp?

140amp Ohiogen alt to 2 2150cca batteries to an SAZ1500 (I have an extra, should I use it?)...to a loaded 15" BTL in a 4cube box tuned to 32hz. In the back of my wagon.

Could be clipping...but I try to pay attention to what I play and I don't let it clip...clipping destroys speakers, you know.

It started going intermittent (couldn't see anything wrong)...then one day it quit. That's when I saw the tinsel pulled from the landing.

I'm thinking the leads are too short...they were barely long enough for me to resolder.

It seems as if your gain might not be set correct and is off just by a little bit and making the problem take time to develop, or it could just be normal wear and tear which I doubt a sub would due if played under its right conditions. What is your enclosure tuned to and what do you have your subsonic fliter set at?

...What is your enclosure tuned to...?

...what do you have your subsonic fliter set at?

The subsonic filter doesn't have any sort of markings...it's a standard pot...I set it as high as I can without it affecting sound quality (killing the low end). What kind of answer are you looking for here? :confused:

What's the proper way to set a subsonic filter? I know the one set on my mids is 120hz...

Edited by ~Abstract~

If your sub sonic filter was set to low then it could of caused some issues over a long period of time, not saying thats the case just throwing out options to help you get the issue at hand resolved so if you fix your sub it wont happen again.

If your sub sonic filter was set to low then it could of caused some issues over a long period of time, not saying thats the case just throwing out options to help you get the issue at hand resolved so if you fix your sub it wont happen again.

Definitely! I appreciate the input!

How can I set my subsonic filter properly?

I've always set levels by ear. Never had a blown sub before...been in the car audio scene for almost 20 years...Just read the tutorial on using my multimeter to set gain...I'll try that.

If I run my head higher I get clipping from the HU (when volumes up)...if I run it lower it feels like I have to have the gain too high to get decent volume.

Should I add the other SAZ1500d that's been sitting in my closet?

free-air it..it may not be the sub your box is just falling apart.

how bad is the felt behind the cone? too much slap?

The felt is pretty fluffed up...and there are holes thru the spider.

I can hear the leads bouncing sometimes.

free-air it..it may not be the sub your box is just falling apart.

Box is solid. Braced and caulked. Checked all bracing.....still want a Kaotik box... :sleepwerd4:

I've listened to the cone at volume...the sound is definitely coming from the sub.

Edited by ~Abstract~

bassboost is set to 0...gain is set to unity with the saz100.4 running my CDT's active. I've had the system for awhile (3 years)...and I don't run it super loud...

RED: and u actually want help? :ughdunno:

Gain is propably not set correctly or the HU is clipping. ;)

Setting gains by ear is a really hard thing to do, and thinking that setting the gains (about) the same on 2 different amps means it is set correct? :trippy:

Even if u had 2 same amps it would be that one amp is clipping and the other one isn't. (learn more about clipping instead of calling people noob when they are trying to help.;))

Are we all still talking about a tinsel lead that has come loose ? there is a reason why nowadays the tinsel lerads are woven in the spider.

I've seen wear lon spider and cone before and in that case the leads were too long.

I say just recone the BTL and ask for those woven in tinselleads or ship it to Fi and and have them recone it , if it were a production flaw I bet they'd recone it for free .....send them a mail and ask .

RED: and u actually want help? :ughdunno:

Setting gains by ear is a really hard thing to do, and thinking that setting the gains (about) the same on 2 different amps means it is set correct? :trippy:

Even if u had 2 same amps it would be that one amp is clipping and the other one isn't. (learn more about clipping instead of calling people noob when they are trying to help.;))

If you read the OP, you'd know that I wasn't asking for advice or condemnation on using bassboost or setting my gains.

I asked for repair options for my tinsel lead that broke...because it seems to me that it's too short.

I would like your help...but you assuming I don't know what I'm doing and then asking me a stupid question about what I'm running bass boost at isn't productive.

Ok then...I'll bite...How would my bass boost settings affect your advice for repair?

Are we all still talking about a tinsel lead that has come loose ? there is a reason why nowadays the tinsel lerads are woven in the spider.

I've seen wear lon spider and cone before and in that case the leads were too long.

I say just recone the BTL and ask for those woven in tinselleads or ship it to Fi and and have them recone it , if it were a production flaw I bet they'd recone it for free .....send them a mail and ask .

That's probably the direction I'm headed...

I'll solder a short length to the landing and crimp the lead to that. When that gives up the ghost...I'll pony the cash to ship the bad boy back to Vegas.

I didn't save my box...what do you think is the best way to ship a 70lb woofer? Crate and freight?

Do you mean something is clipping when I hear scratching currently...or that something WAS clipping leading to the single shortest lead failing?

:eek5wavey: