MikeMartel

Need Help, Not sure what subs to buy

Which Subs?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. What Subs should i buy?

Ok thanks for the flame ///M5. But alright. I guess I'll try my luck with the BTLs. Thanks a lot. All I need to do is figure out what amps im going to get. Any suggestions? I was looking at rockford fosgates. But they don't make a 2000 watt amp .

Firs realize how big of a box you are going to need.. 2 BTLs in a truck is tricky! Fuck, even one could be tricky.. you don't want it to be a fart box and want it too sound good and have output, i vote BL.

whats your budget? Don't forget if you get 2k you will have to upgrade electricals to back it up. And I would get an amp that does the wattage you want and has subsonic filter.

I've got a 15 btl and a 15 q. Q is accurate as hell. I love it so damn much. BTl in the same truck, same sized enclosure is just a vicious monster that sounds better than those irritating DD's.

Money+install=your pleasure.

Now . Would it be bad if I ran an Fi btl off of 2500.1bd Rockford fosgate? I know it's a bit over the rated rms but Iv heard that a lot of people do over power them.

Now . Would it be bad if I ran an Fi btl off of 2500.1bd Rockford fosgate? I know it's a bit over the rated rms but Iv heard that a lot of people do over power them.

I'm not sure but that amp may have a fixed ssf, which presents a problem if your using a ported enclosure.

I'm not sure but that amp may have a fixed ssf, which presents a problem if your using a ported enclosure.

they have SSF's

Ok.. Is ssf the subsonic filter? Cause I'm pretty sure it's adjustable

Edited by MikeMartel

ssf stands for subsonic filter, it attenuates frequencies below a set frequency. It keeps the driver from playing below the enclosures tuned frequency and bottoming out.

The RF 2500.1bd has a SET ssf at 28hz. If you end up using that specific amp, I would tune the enclosure to 30hz.

the subsonic filter is to cutoff frequencies below that frequency you set your subsonic filter at. That RF 2500 amp has a fix subsonic filter at 28hz. You will be mostly building your box to accommodate that instead of the other way around. Pick another amp.

Thats strange, Steve Meade is running those exact amps, and he has videos of his subs hitting at 21hz?

You think Steve knows what he's doing compared to you? If you gotta ask then I'm pretty sure you don't know. Sorry to be blunt but it is what it is. YOU need variable subsonic filter unless you wanna build your box around using no subsonic or one at 28hz. up to you.

Thats strange, Steve Meade is running those exact amps, and he has videos of his subs hitting at 21hz?

:roflmao::suicide-santa:

If you just want to be louder than two apline X 10" subs you could get 2 SSA ICONs and be fine....Don't waste your money on the BTL, its def. for people who are experienced and know what they are doing.... The amount of power it requires is a serious investment not only in your amplifier but also your car and its electrical system.

Why not start with something more simple, like I said, look into SSA ICON, Sundown SA series or even Fi SSD series, 2 of those at a 12 or 15" would pound, especially in a khaotic ported enclosure!

Use the money you save and upgrade your electrical (alt., battery) and if you still aren't satisfied, go with some BTLs :)

Edited by bimmerboy

Well.... im enjoying the flaming im getting -.- but whatever. i already said i dont have much experience but thanks anyways. And the reason i want to get the BTL's now, is because i dont want to keep spending money on simple things when i know i will just want something better, thats why i decided ill just save up my money until i have enough for my BTL's. Im fine with my system atm but these are just my plans for further down the road.

Then do more research before you buy. There are people destroying their BTLs with 1k and there are those that run them fine with 5k. Save up for the BTL if you want. I say go for it. But remember that install/box is 90% and product is 10% of the results. There are people with subs that cost half of the BTL and are just as loud as people with the BTL.

If you just want to be louder than two apline X 10" subs you could get 2 SSA ICONs and be fine....Don't waste your money on the BTL, its def. for people who are experienced and know what they are doing.... The amount of power it requires is a serious investment not only in your amplifier but also your car and its electrical system.

WTF? Not at all. Even with only 1w the BTL will be louder than any other sub Fi makes with 1w. Really simple. The BTL is made to get the loudest out of all of them, but indeed the enclosure makes WAY more difference than splitting hairs on the driver.

edit: note I didn't say you can't get loud with the Icons, just was addressing the idiotic statement in bold

I understand that the box and install are very important.. Only thing that sucks is i don't live close to any good car audio stores. So what I'm thinking is that I'll do a lot of research on how to build a proper box and build it myself

I understand that the box and install are very important.. Only thing that sucks is i don't live close to any good car audio stores. So what I'm thinking is that I'll do a lot of research on how to build a proper box and build it myself

Go for it man, if you got all the tools it's pretty easy. If not, have Argent Audio build you a box ;)

Ok so, now all i really need is my amps. I have heard a lot of amazing things about rockford fosgate thats kind of why i wanted to get them, but if i have to build the box around the ssf of the amp im not really sure if i would be able to do that because i dont really have the knowledge. Ill be the first to admit it, i know nothing about good amp companies so ill start doing some research, but if a few of you could point me in the right direction that would be cool.

Before you buy anything, try to learn a little more about your hobby !

With a btl you're going into some big troubles without any more knowledge.

You're starting really big !!!

Ok so, now all i really need is my amps. I have heard a lot of amazing things about rockford fosgate thats kind of why i wanted to get them, but if i have to build the box around the ssf of the amp im not really sure if i would be able to do that because i dont really have the knowledge. Ill be the first to admit it, i know nothing about good amp companies so ill start doing some research, but if a few of you could point me in the right direction that would be cool.

Look at what Audioque and Sundown has to offer. Good amps that put out rated at 14.4v.

Check out sundown and crescendo amps.