billystorms24

Dual Sa-8 Box

Hey jacob. I recently built a box for my 2 sa8s. I was told it might be too big for the power im throwing at it.I built it with birtch, 2.25 cubes @ 30.2 hz. Im using 2 3inch 14 inches long. Im going to use my saz-3000d @ 2 ohm. I know i have to watch my gain. what would be the best box size for 30 hz for that power? Here is a pic of my work.

cf0ea6f5.jpg

You would want .5 Ft^3 per woofer, your box is way too large. You could put a changeable baffle and throw a couple more 8's in there.

way to big maybe toss two more eights in there and call it a day. to do this cut there top piece bigger and toss another top piece with the four sub cut outs on it

.5-.7 Ft^3 per sub at any power level.

you guys think with 4-8s his port area is going to be enough? Is that 2.2 before or after sub and port displacement? I agree it seems a big big though. What are your goals with this setup? Will it work yes, will it perform best and let the subs perform at their peak highly doubtful.

Edited by jmanjr

Lol, 1500 watts to a pair or 8's in an enclosure twice recommended size... good luck

Good looking enclosure though.. I'd just save up for a couple more 8's four total, that'd get you to a 2 ohm load. (if you have dual 4's) .

Of course you'll need to double your port area if you increase displacement capabilities.

Of course you'll need to double your port area if you increase displacement capabilities.

That too.

Lol, 1500 watts to a pair or 8's in an enclosure twice recommended size... good luck

Great feedback kid, obviously people come here to read remarks like this. Thank you for existing.

Great feedback kid, obviously people come here to read remarks like this. Thank you for existing.

don't be silly dude Duran is one of the best on this forum and very knowledgeable. sure his remark seems a bit rash but it is all to make a good point given the specs that everyone already know about these subs and there power handling and cubic space required

so even though his comment seems child-ish (hench why you called him kid..) it is far from p/s i bet he is old enough to be my dad! lol ;)

Lol, 1500 watts each to a pair or 8's in an enclosure twice recommended size... good luck

The fact of the matter is, if the OP has a stronger than stock suspension(which he failed to mention) and if he is doing it for pure SPL(which he isn't being tuned to 30 Hz., AND he said himself it is for music), he will be needing to order a few recones, because the SA motor is very strong, and will launch the cones our of the baskets in too large an enclosure, combined with being on a 3KD.

Lol, 1500 watts each to a pair or 8's in an enclosure twice recommended size... good luck

The fact of the matter is, if the OP has a stronger than stock suspension(which he failed to mention) and if he is doing it for pure SPL(which he isn't being tuned to 30 Hz., AND he said himself it is for music), he will be needing to order a few recones, because the SA motor is very strong, and will launch the cones our of the baskets in too large an enclosure, combined with being on a 3KD.

alright thats why i asked to get input like this. what would be ideal for 2 sa-8s tuned 30 hz . and by the way they are stock but its the upgraded bolted down spider.

Also, what is the best tuning for daily driving (music)? I am about to commit to a pair of these and start building the box.

Just for listening I like to tune around 34-36hz, its going to be your personal listening habits, style of music rap, rock, techno, country?

I listen to a lot of different stuff...generally rock, classic rock, techno/electronica, industrial metal, no rap or country though.

Also...how do I figure out the dimensions of a slotted port for a box for two SA-8's @ .6cf each? I figure tuned at or around 35Hz.

You could always add 2x4s to reduce volume. But that would raise tuning

Well considering you listen to rock and techno mainly I would go 38-42hz tuning maybe even a tad higher, do a search like "slot port calculator" an you should get a tons of search results, if you cant find one I will give you a link.