swift

Box help which way to fire subs (pics)

I am wanting to add more low end to my truck and I think I have decided to do a rear console. But I dont know which way to fire the sub or subs. The box will be roughly 2.4cu and is 14x28x14.

This is going in a 07 Harley F250. Here is a few pics of a cardboard make up box.

So should I do one 12 rear facing and ported or do 2 10's or 2 12's down firing sealed? If I do a down firing box it will need to come up 2-3 inches so it would be alittle higher than pics. The box will be black carpet to match. Looking for hard hitting low clean bass.

I could maybe get another .5 if I slope the front and bring it down.

Looking at either SA-10's 12"s or SSA Dcon or ICONS and a SA-1500 amp.

IMG00468-20101104-1852.jpg

IMG00469-20101104-1852.jpg

And what it will replace. I could redo this box and make it 1.35cu but dont think I care much for the sound from the front firing setup. And you can see there will be a few inches of clearance if firing the rear.

IMG00470-20101104-1852.jpg

007.jpg

Any help is appreciated

Edited by swift

I'm working on pretty much the same setup for my truck with 2 10"s. I'll be doing the setup as down firing system with the port firing up.

You could do 2 12"s ported and run the port behind one of the seats.

Since you have high power it would work I think.

You could do 2 12"s ported and run the port behind one of the seats.

Since you have high power it would work I think.

You talking about running an external port? I dont think I have enough airspace for two 12's and porting do I?

I could see one 12 rear facing with the port rear facing. Would this sound good in my application?

The little ole Fosgate P2 just dont cut it! lol

Any suggestions?

sub down port back just like a home theater set up!

sub down port back just like a home theater set up!

Will I have to add size somewhere to get one ICON 12 to work with my dimensions after port? And should I remove the seats and back carpet and do Dynamat or some sort of sound deadening. The amp(s) will go on the wall behind the seat in place of the existing sub.

Thanks

Ok, so if I utilize the space behind the seat and make the box an L shape that will make it a total of 3.5 cu to work with before port and sub space. That should give me more options as to what to do now.

If I were you I would look into external aero ports ran behind the seat(s). This would free up some space for internal volume.

If I were you I would look into external aero ports ran behind the seat(s). This would free up some space for internal volume.

I was maybe thinking that. now I am wondering if I should stay with two 10's or try and squeeze three 10's in there. With 3.5 to 4cu before displacement and port I am thinking of the most output I can get and play cleanly.

It sounds like you have plenty of room for (2)12's ported. If SQ is the biggest concern look at (2)12's sealed which should be an even smaller footprint.

I am a big fan of bigger is better. So I would always take a larger driver over a small one. You could even do (1)15 ported or sealed. I love 15's :peepwall:

Interesting idea . Looking forward to seeing the final setup. 2 12s sealed one up one forward sounds cool

Could you do more of a tower type of deal? You could have a taller standing box with some bracing at the floor. Maybe house 2 12's with a port at the bottom, middle, or top. Subs and port forward firing. You would have plenty of airspace to work with here

First, I would keep the subs on the same side. Not one facing one way and one facing another. You want them to operate as close to a single unit as possible. Ports facing up could easily be mistaken for cupholders......could get messy...lol.

I kinda agree on a single fifteen if you can make it fit...I would fire it downwards with a 3-4 inch space from the floor. The raised box would create its own natural slotted port and help naturally spread the sound around the cab. In theory....

OR....

you could do a band pass box and keep that speaker nice and safe and run the ports around the back of the back seats as suggested.....

my biggest suggestion would be to make the box look as factory as possible as an arm rest for the rear seats.....hell, throw some cupholders in the top and do vinyl inserts, round the corners, nice big radii ...too nice a truck just throw a square box in there.....

keep the progress posted.....

if you wanna keep the box closer to your first size, and not take up a ton of room I would vote for 2 12's sealed downfiring, if you dont mind making the box bigger, then Id port a pair of 12's.

but the SA12 is reccomended for a 1.75 and the Icon around 2.0 cubes. so after sub displacement you need around 3.8-4.4 cubes before port displacement. so once you get enough port area, it will probably be a pretty long port and you will end up with quite a big box for a center console. probably something like 14x14x48, if those first 2 meaurements have to stick.

Thanks alot for the replies! After doing more measuring if I use all space available I will have a L shaped box that runs in the center and behind the drivers side back seat where the original sub is. I would like to have the subs fire down because I do want this to look as good as possible. I will wrap it in black carpet or vinyl and put the stock leather Harley arm rest on top. I do not have a diagram program on my computer so I will try and explain it.

It will be 34-36in from the front of the box to the back wall 14in wide and 14in tall, then it will make a right turn and go 22in long, 14in high and 6in deep. This leaves behind the back passenger seat open for the amp. So remember the mounting surface is only 14in wide so a 15 is out of the question unfortunately.

The rest of the setup is a Alpine Multi media/nav head unit, 4 Alpine Type-R 5-7 coaxials and a Alpine PDX-4.150 amp. The current 10in is also running off of this but I will take it out and add a set of tweeters up on the pillars and dedicate the Alpine amp just for the mids and highs. A SAz-1500D will power the subs unless I need more.

So I still am torn between 2 ported 10's, 3 sealed 10's, 2 sealed 12's or 2 ported 12's.

Thanks again for the replies

sounds like dual 12" sealed down firing box might be the winner....hard to go wrong with box design too. sealed are very forgiving enclosures.... not enough cubes? over stuff with poly, too many and add "filler" blocks made out of scrap material to "shrink" the box...

at least thats what I would do....other opinions may vary....