Sign in to follow this  
korndog

Improving an older US Amps?

I have this US Amps 200, looks to be made in the 90s, no crossover. Works great, but gets kind of warm running bridged at 2ohm. I recently got a Ascendant avalanche and those subs come in dual 2ohms so i was thinking about running the amp at 1ohm bridged.

I've heard from some people that its possible with a little modification, i'm no electric engineer, but i've modded a decent amount of ps1/ps2 and built some headphone amps so i'm tempted to try this. Besides swamping the capacitors w/ higher voltage capacitors, what eles could i replace on this amp? Is there anything i can add? Could i just leave it as is and just cool it better?

thanks in advance for any help

i think that would be a question for dirk, their engineer. class AB are going to run warm, especially if you push them. and 1 ohm will get it even hotter. finding out what needs to be modded, i just might have to do. because i've got plans on an A2000 (modded AX2000 to run at 2 ohm mono/ 1 ohm stereo).

from modding other amps with protection circuits, i know you have do add capacitance in the circuit so it won't go into protection.

i don't know about swapping the capacitors, what i see happening isn't higher voltage, but more current flow due to less resistance. which might take out your output transistors. i've had some schooling in electical, but i'm by far not an engineer. so i would say email us amps direct. it might take a while to get a response, i think dirk is away on business for a few weeks.

The toroids would probably have to be upgraded with thicker wire on the windings...upgrading inductors and lowering rail voltages is not something for the faint of heart, though :)

The toroids would probably have to be upgraded with thicker wire on the windings...upgrading inductors and lowering rail voltages is not something for the faint of heart, though :)

yup! that rite there is a LOT of work

dang, i didn't think i would have to touch toroids.. lower the rail voltage?