ngsm13

Car audio as a source of Visual Rhetoric! Input...

Whew.

Well, I'm doing a research paper based on Car Audio, imagine that. The catch is, it is a persuasive research paper and it must use two sources of visual rhetoric as it's primary sources. I am also required to have various other sources, and I plan on using this website as on of the other sources...particularly this thread.

Visual Rhetoric:

For our uses, we will define visual rhetoric as the fairly recent development of a theoretical framework describing how visual images communicate, as opposed to aural or verbal messages. The study of visual rhetoric is different from that of visual or graphic design, in that it emphasizes images as rational expressions of cultural meaning, as opposed to mere aesthetic consideration (Kress 18).

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_rhetoric

One of my pictures will be of the Alpine X5 2005 Demo car. I believe it's amazing.

I'm looking for another image, and also some input/discussion based on this thesis statement.

Thesis:

By examining the different media and cultural outlets devoted to car audio, we can show how car audio is more than a product; it can be a lifestyle.

Thanks for any discussion/input.

NG

That is a beatiful car. Maybe you could find an incredible, yet subtle, daily driver install to contrast the show car. Something from a competition might show the lifestyle aspect even better.

That is a beatiful car. Maybe you could find an incredible, yet subtle, daily driver install to contrast the show car. Something from a competition might show the lifestyle aspect even better.

Just chose a picture I took myself of Scottie's White van.

On to the aspect of using this thread (if it turns to fruitful discussion) as a source.

Any discussion or advice on the thesis?

Thanks!

NG

you are more than welcome to use my Magnums pics----if you want

Sweet, as stated I've chosen my two primary visuals...but I will also be using some visuals as secondary sources. That's actually sparked a great idea, have a section featuring member installs from 2-3 forums I visit the most.

YAY!

And of course, all of them will be cited accordingly.

More than anything, I am looking for opinions/discussion of my thesis statement, like whether you believe it is truthful. How we could persuade someone not interested in car audio at all...that it is in fact a lifestyle.

Thanks!

NG

I would talk on how the car audio world has changed even the OEM side of the buisness---and how intergration is now one of the bigger aspects of it-----the Mark Levison system for example----show models of older products and how the engineering has changed the outlook of products---XBL2 for example. just a few thoughts.

edit---also on the way the older generation looks at car audio vs. the new----and how not all of us are out to shake everyones windows----it is the journey to find sonic bliss for ALOT of us.

The Thesis is great, but seems a little too common to me. I don't really know what you are after, but I can pretty much relate any serious hobby to a lifestyle, or a lifestyle to a hobby. Now there's something. Look at it from 180 degrees.

Timing is everything as well. Not that it is related to car audio, but the big buzz spending word in Detroit (or Japan...) is Sound Quality. In this case of course it is to make the car not sound cheap, tinny, and so on. I am actually in Detroit doing a bit of vibration consulting right now for this exact reason. In my previous job I sold Bruel & Kjaer Sound Quality Analyzers.

The only problem I have with your topic is the word "lifestyle". I do choose to spend a lot of time thinking about this sort of thing, but it is still a hobby. Now of course, if you (we) are obsessive compulsive then that hobby is sort of a lifestyle, but in this case I would guess that SQ is more of societal push being taken to a new extreme in its context.

As an example, everything you buy today they think about SQ on. From dishwashers, printers, lawnmowers, fans, electric toothbrushes.....

Before I ramble more, I will stop.

i can see how car audio can indeed be a lifestyle, one that transends other different lifestyles...ie: ricers, spl competitors, sq rides, daily drivers, diy's to all out trailer queens.

car audio is one of those things that can link , as well as seperate, many different cultures. from ppl who devote most waking hours to designing and building customs systems and rides ( like fishman for example) to diy'ers who browse the forums looking for the best bang for the buck. it's a lifestyle within many other lifestyles. a lifestyle within a hobby. one with many different levels and approaches.

and i'll quit...

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

To the top!

Looking for anymore input to put into my draft. Also, what if I said caraudio is just a product...how would you convince people otherwise. Anything helps.

NG

Also, what if I said caraudio is just a product...how would you convince people otherwise.

Wayne Harris, Alma Gates, Mark Fakuda, Richard Clark, David Navone, Vance Dickason, etc. . . . .

I wish they did it to like an M Coupe, something small, light, and overpowered. Combine the ultimate drive with the ultimate sound.

Other than that, I really like the focus of the "single" person vehicle. After all it is yours, so it should be for you. Defying the laws of utility to obtain an ultimate is perfectly logical and should happen a lot more often. Sort of funny that they did it to a utility vehicle again though.

Also, I love the fact that they modified the whole car pretty much completely to personalize it. In an age where car manufacturers won't really want to even start thinking about designing a car if they can't plan to churn out more than 100,000 is a big business I love see happening. Sort of like those chopper shows. You may not like the shows, you may not like motorcycles, you may hate Harley's and how they sound but you will still probably enjoy watching what they do to things with their hands to customize them. That is a personal vehicle as this was meant to be.

When you have the means to I think you surely should go over the top on whatever you love. It just makes sense. You can't buy happiness, but you have to try....should be happy anyway. As well as there is only one you, if it floats your boat what the h3ll? Express yourself!

Oh, and ya I'd drive the car.

I personally agree car audio is a lifestyle. There are poeple who personafy the "lifestyle" such as Alma Gates, Wayne Harris (even though I m not a fan of his), Kurt Guenther, Nick Stives, Dave "fishman" Rivera, and so on. These men personafy the "lifestye" they show how deep a person can get into the life, and debt beacuse of the life. Its kind of like being a gangsta......There are verying degree's of which you can get into it. Some people are bearly into it and just roll up on people when they need something/there are people who are satisfied when they have a good cd player in their car.....then there are people who roll up banks beacuse their 06 escalade doesnt have 24's yet, and they can't wake up their babies mama with the subs from 18 blocks aways/some people don't achieve true happiness until they have that world record and 1st place trophy in all divisions........

I mean there are lots of ways to look at it but this is just my 2 pennies.

Jordan