edouble101

3 way front stage questions

I will be installing a budget audio system in my 2008 Hyundai Elantra four door. I will be running a three way front stage. I am using Viper Audio 650.2 passive component set. They are metal dome tweeters with 6.5" midrange and crossovers. The tweets are harsh and the 6.5's lack midbass. I picked them up bnib cheap.... I will be using a Boss REV-665 four channel for power. Again got the amp cheap..... Channel 1&2 for the component set and channel 3&4 for 6.5" woofers.

Mounting: tweeters in A-pillars aimed at each other, 6.5's midrange in custom kick panels aimed at dome light, 6.5 woofer in bottom of front doors mounted behind factory door panels and aimed at each other.

Fyi...for sub bass I am using an XCON 15...head unit is a Kenwood KDC-X994....no external eq

I will run the Viper 650.2 passive with the supplied crossovers and possibly have the amp set as a HPF for channel 1&2 (I have to look at the HPF crossover freq). The 6.5 door mounted woofers will need a bandpass signal. I am using a Crescendo 3kwp to power the XCON (please no bashing, I know it is overpowered), I can get a lowpass signal from it for the XCON.

Questions: Which 6.5" woofer/midbass will be best for my setup? It will be powered with 85wrms. I am thinking about using an AudioControl 6XS for crossover duties.

Edited by edouble101

I could use 2 ohm 6.5's as well for more power from the amp.

Not really an ideal set up with 2 6.5's.

Can you go larger on the midbass?

I could use 8's if that would ultimately be better. What is wrong with a 6.5" midrange used with a 6.5" woofer. Crossed over at different frequencies obviously.

I'm just guessing, but two 6.5 midbass would result in one hitting a certain note louder then the other hitting lower/higher and you wouldn't notice it as much?

I'm just guessing, but two 6.5 midbass would result in one hitting a certain note louder then the other hitting lower/higher and you wouldn't notice it as much?

Uhhhh.....mmm.....what? Lol

Maybe I didn't write this thread clearly. I am seeking a three way setup for my front stage.

- tweeter for high pass

- midrange for midrange frequencies

- woofer for mid bass frequencies

I am thinking about using a 6.5" woofer simply to ease mounting and lower cost. Which 6.5" woofer do you recommend for my setup?

Ideally you would want different sizes.

ex: 8" woofer, 3-4" mid, and the tweeter.

What are you looking for? More midbass?

Yes I am seeking a more pronounced midbass.

I am not convinced that it takes certain sized drivers to produce certain frequences. More research...... For conveince in mounting a 6.5" driver would be best for my application but I suppose I could get more output with a larger driver such as an 8".

Yes I am seeking a more pronounced midbass.

I am not convinced that it takes certain sized drivers to produce certain frequences. More research...... For conveince in mounting a 6.5" driver would be best for my application but I suppose I could get more output with a larger driver such as an 8".

He's not saying certain sized drivers take certain frequencies only. It just would make more sense to do a 8" midbass and a 6.5" midrange instead of a 6.5" midbass and 6.5"midrange, it can be done though. Midbass should usually be the larger driver, 6.5" can produce okay midbass but you will get more from an 8" especially in your application. If you had a smaller midrange then a 6.5" midbass would suffice. But like you said do more research on this forum and on the internet about midbass, speaker size and all that jazz. Also taking car of your door panel as well will determine the midbass you get from the driver you select. Read old post where this has been talked about before.

Think about how many 3-way component speaker sets come with the same sized midbass and midrange driver.

The lower frequencies go, the more cone area will help you. You want the most cone area possible when it comes to sub-bass and mid-bass, most 6.5" midwoofer's playing just mid-bass will struggle because they aren't designed for it.

If you want a capable midwoofer with close to the displacement capabilities, look into AA Carbon's.

The lower frequencies go, the more cone area will help you. You want the most cone area possible when it comes to sub-bass and mid-bass, most 6.5" midwoofer's playing just mid-bass will struggle because they aren't designed for it.

If you want a capable midwoofer with close to the displacement capabilities, look into AA Carbon's.

Do you know where I can get information on the AA carbons?

I am looking at a Peerless 6.5" and a Scan-speak 8". I have plenty of time to decide.

I am looking at a Peerless 6.5" and a Scan-speak 8". I have plenty of time to decide.

i will be getting some t/s specs sent to my in my email that I can forward you or see If I can give them to a Mod on here to post and sticky if Fi/AA allows it.

How much $ do you have to spend?

85w is not a lot of power, most dedicated midbass like a lot of power to get them moving in the lower frequencies.

i will be getting some t/s specs sent to my in my email that I can forward you or see If I can give them to a Mod on here to post and sticky if Fi/AA allows it.

Thanks for the link but I am going to pass on these for now.

85w is not a lot of power, most dedicated midbass like a lot of power to get them moving in the lower frequencies.

Not much more! I am not planning on buying any additional amplifiers. I plan on using the Boss for the front stage. I am digging the Scan-speak 92db sensitivity!

Thanks for the link but I am going to pass on these for now.

Not much more! I am not planning on buying any additional amplifiers. I plan on using the Boss for the front stage. I am digging the Scan-speak 92db sensitivity!

That driver looks nice, what are you going to cross it over at?

I didn't think about that yet.

There are ZERO 6.5" midrangees on the market that are ANY good at being midrange, terrible idea. Go much smaller if you are doing a three way so at least there is some benefit for you.

Unfortunately that is the components set that I have and I want to make the best of it. I really want HLCD's but that definitely isn't in my budget any longer!

Then spend the money on improving their install.