Sign in to follow this  
///M5

Let's build a system for a boat

Allright, I need a break from working on my kick panels so I thought I would get to thinking about my next project. And being completely different I thought this might be fun.

I have until spring to help my frugal friend put a stereo in his boat (21' Chris Craft). He already has a HU and a older fosgate amp 50x4. I have a pair of JL 10w4-0 subs that I will let him use for a reasonable price. The boat is used exclusively on Lake Minnetonka, most of the time the boat is tied to a line of other boats in the 20-30' range. Having the stereo that can be heard well behind the boat and sideways accross other boats allows you to be the one to choose the music--a must if I am going to go out with him.

I want to propose two systems to him:

1) An extreme low cost--aka no new amp

2) A rational step up--another amplifier

To maximize dispersion and volume--more important then either SQ or SPL:

Pick a real high sensitivity horn from PE -- power off his hu with a passive crossover

Run a pair (4 total) of midranges off each front channel of the amp at a 2 ohm load

Run the 2x10" subs off the rear half of the amplifier.

--For mounting I would build a ported enclosure for the mid/horn combo and make them dual mountable; one mount for inside the hull of the boat and another for mounting up higher for "parked" listening while you are not moving or outside the boat. The subs will be in the hull.

So the questions are:

Do you like my idea for the first option, any driver recommendations, and what would you do to add to the system for option 2.

You will need an EQ for those horns.

H/U power, eww, maybe for some coaxials and thats about it.

As we all say, do it right and spend the extra money, it will be worth it in the long run

he could get away with running the old amplifer, (just wondering what amplifer is it in particular) but supa is right, he needs to spend a few extra dollars