s_carter

Nick or Scott- Looking for a basket for a DIY sub.

Building our own sub...  

4 members have voted

1. 1. What size should our frankensub be?

Needing a basket, as the title shows. I was wondering if you two could hook me up with something for an experiment that a friend and I are looking to undertake. I need a basket that will bolt to any of the listed motors, we have a few right now, there's a Treo SSX 534 ounce, 12" motor with a 3" coil, and a Treo 582 ounce 18" motor with a 4" coil, then we have 2 RF power series motors that are old school- like the HX2's that have 4'' coils, and we have an Orion HCCA motor with a 3'' coil.

Was hoping maybe I could get an 18" or a 22" basket to play with? Let me know if you guys can help me!

Got any parts for the 22" lineup machined yet? I would be happy to test some of them out for you guys!

Sam

Edited by The SSD Madman

You may need bolt patterns posted.

OK, I will have my buddy measure out the center to center spacing, and bolt pattern on the motors, and get them posted up here when I hear back from him.

The Treo motors originally use TCS baskets with a 6 bolt pattern on a 5 inch spacing, I believe. Looks like the others are the same, except for the Orion motor. Still trying to get that one figured out, but it is going to be used for a later project, I think.

Going with the larger 4" Treo motor, to begin with, what kind of basket options are there? I'd really like to source some parts for a 22", or a 21" if that's not possible yet...

Where are you going to get the soft parts required for a 21+" woofer?

Well I am trying to source all the parts out now, if I cant buy any of the them, I guess I can always have something custom made for it.

Edited by The SSD Madman

Well I am trying to source all the parts out now, if I cant buy any of the them, I guess I can always have something custom made for it.

The tooling costs for a single custom part would cost well over what it would cost to buy a complete woofer.

I hear that ! its a journey, but it should be a fun one, even if it turns out terribly...

I'm just trying to save you the time and money.. unless you have pockets lined with gold plates...

The cheapest route will be to contact IA and get one of their 21" baskets and soft parts.

No 21 or 22 from us..

Don't have a cone body or anything yet that will work with it.

22" is not top priority for us now as is..sorry.

If you want an 18" basket that isn't an issue.

Ah, man, that is a bummer! let me know when you start pre ordering the 22's, I want to be one of the first in line. I'm loving the X12's you sent my way, and I havent even put any power to them yet. But they sure do look the part.

I am going to see what I can do about some 21" parts before I jump the gun on some 18's... but thank you guys for the response!

Ah, man, that is a bummer! let me know when you start pre ordering the 22's, I want to be one of the first in line. I'm loving the X12's you sent my way, and I havent even put any power to them yet. But they sure do look the part.

I am going to see what I can do about some 21" parts before I jump the gun on some 18's... but thank you guys for the response!

why are you so set on a 21" or 22", sure it has more cone area then a 18" but nothing a couple 18s wouldn't outdo...

I just don't see the point, 18" is big already, if you want more output add more drivers, adjust enclosure volume / tuning...

Thats not really the point, not looking to gain anything for my system at this point. I am just building a few frankensubs with a friend, and I already own two 18's, so we wanted to go bigger. But I will end up building a of couple of 18's out of some of these motors we have anyway, since they are only 3" coils...

Are those baskets the same as whats in my SSD's? What are the spider landing measurements? And, the biggest question of the day, whats it worth to you?

Edited by The SSD Madman

We don't do pre-orders :)

The only reason we did anything with the N2's was because they were so far out on left field.

Don't believe in taking your money to pay for product that we wouldn't have yet..when we have it and are able to build it, it will be available.

Thats not really the point, not looking to gain anything for my system at this point. I am just building a few frankensubs with a friend, and I already own two 18's, so we wanted to go bigger. But I will end up building a of couple of 18's out of some of these motors we have anyway, since they are only 3" coils...

Are those baskets the same as whats in my SSD's? What are the spider landing measurements? And, the biggest question of the day, whats it worth to you?

It would be the same basket as the SSD unless you are going to go with the 4" coil one, then you can have one of our 18" SMD style baskets.

Well, I'm only using a 3 inch coil for the 18. What would one of those cost shipped to Portland?