vladd

different motor techs

Ok so speaking purely visually, i understand a basic motor and the LMT but XBL^2 i've never seen a good pic of, what exactly is it and how does it differ? what pics i have seen, i can't tell the difference from a normal motor.

Now, someone explain in some more depth for me, or point me to a good link, the way the magnetic force helps hurts the voice coil movement. I'm not understanding why a lateral force is necessarily a good thing.

Next, why is the cone concave instead of convex? Has anyone ever experimented with flipping the cone over? What affects would this have on the frequency?

Obviously i'm procrastinating studying and my mind needs anything else to think about instead of my intro to film test tomorrow, a few more hours and then maybe i'll study :-P

There is a site that i cant recall that shows pictures of different motors.

Concave cone, you kinda run into some problems

Cant use a grille

The VC has to be much much longer.

It looks dumb

Ok so speaking purely visually,

there is little to know importance in how they look visually. Unless You are asking something else in this post, I do believe that You are headed in the wrong direction.

The motor MAKES a driver.

Ok so speaking purely visually,

there is little to know importance in how they look visually. Unless You are asking something else in this post, I do believe that You are headed in the wrong direction.

The motor MAKES a driver.

i understand that, i'm just saying i like to see how something works before i try to understand it.

Hello vladd.

You can find a couple technical papers in the tech section on Adire's website about XBL^2. Here's a link to them:

http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/XBL2TechPaper.pdf

http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/XBL2DetailsPaper.pdf

It's easier to draw pictures than to try to explain how it functions, but I will try. Think of having 2 "gaps" of magnetic flux with a certain height, and the space between the gaps being the same height. Now picture a coil twice as long as one of the gaps. Now picture the top of the coil filling up the bottom gap, and hanging down below it. Now picture the coil moving up toward the other gap to where now the bottom of the coil is completely covering the bottom gap, and the top of the coil is in the space between the two gaps. Now picture the coil moving up further still. Now the coil is starting to enter the upper gap, however it is leaving the bottom gap at the same rate. This means that the amount of flux the coil is seeing is staying the same as it transfers from one gap to another. Now it can continue moving up until the bottom part of the coil is in the top gap. As you can see, you get a great deal of excursion from a short coil.

I drew a picture a long time ago that should help with your visualization. It shows the coil at it's peaks of excursion. Here's the link: http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_image...68_115_full.jpg

BEAUTIFUL, thats pretty much exactly what i was looking for (your drawing) i've heard how it works and sorta understood it but could never visualize it. And looking at adire's model i never actually saw the gaps, i guess i just overlooked them.