willispwns

2 Fi X 12's or one SSD 15?

I am relatively new to car audio and brand new to the forum but I love the quality and build of Fi subs and I need to be a part of it!. I am torn though, I've got an amp that puts out 640 watts rms and I can't decide between picking up two of the 12" black Fi day specials or one 15" SSD? The SSD is a bit more, but what do you guys think? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Cone area or power handling?

Haha I'm kidding.

But 2 12's have more cone area vs. one fifteen.

But it all comes down to enclosure and design :)

What are you looking for? SQ or SPL?

You should state these in your questions later on, good luck

Cone area or power handling?

Haha I'm kidding.

But 2 12's have more cone area vs. one fifteen.

But it all comes down to enclosure and design :)

What are you looking for? SQ or SPL?

You should state these in your questions later on, good luck

Thanks for the tip. I am mainly looking for SQ but still be able to get loud doing it. I've got no real limits for enclosure size, massive trunk, and I know how to design/build a decent box. So are you saying the SSD in a large efficient box would be optimal or the 12's because of the cone area?

18 ssd? haha just kidding unless you have the room.

im not so certain it will be an audible difference between the two option after factoring in the install and box. maybe one of the Fi guys will chime in here with better info

I dont know much yet since I am new to car audio as well. However, I would think that the two 12" Fi x's would perform better since they would both be gettin about 320w rms (300w being their optimal wattage)and, like previously stated, you would have an advantage in cone area. I purchased an FiDay 12" not too long ago and i have in set up in a 2.5 cubic foot box ported gettin about 250w rms and it sounds awesome for one 12. So im sure that two 12's in a 4-4.5 cubic foot box would sound great. Good Luck

I know the Fi SSD will sound just fine off of 600 watts and get plenty loud for most people. I have never heard a Fi-day X so I cannot coment with reguards to that particular sub. However, the Fi-day X's are so cheap that you'd probably make your money back if you wanted to resale them and get the SSD in the future.

I own two of the fiday X12s and two SSD18's. The X12's dont seem to be quite as much of an SPL sub, and more of an SQ sub, while the SSD's are an excellent mix of both in my mind. As long as you can come up with about 4.5 cubic feet of airspace for either of the two choices, you will be very happy with the decision.

I own two of the fiday X12s and two SSD18's. The X12's dont seem to be quite as much of an SPL sub, and more of an SQ sub, while the SSD's are an excellent mix of both in my mind. As long as you can come up with about 4.5 cubic feet of airspace for either of the two choices, you will be very happy with the decision.

I just ordered two of the fiday 12's, pretty stoked! Based on your experience, what would you recommend for box size and tuning? I like listening to a lot of rap/dupstep and want decent sq but still be able to get loud. So I was thinking around 2.2 ft^3 per sub tuned @ around 32hz. Any help is very much appreciated!

I just ordered two of the fiday 12's, pretty stoked! Based on your experience, what would you recommend for box size and tuning? I like listening to a lot of rap/dupstep and want decent sq but still be able to get loud. So I was thinking around 2.2 ft^3 per sub tuned @ around 32hz. Any help is very much appreciated!

Hi everyone!! Just joined, first post.

I just made the same purchase and (obviously) have the same question. I'm just getting started with WinISD, but I plugged in the numbers and played around a little and it looks to me like the recommended 2.4cu' net per driver looks fantastically flat and deep when tuned at 30hz (F3 31hz). In his Youtube video, The SSD Madman had said that he thought 32sq" of port may not had been enough to drive his 2 X12's, but that was with 3.5 cu'. Does anyone see an issue with a 50sq" of port area (2.75" x 18.5" = 50.875" w/ a vent mach of 0.05)?

BTW - I love the cut sheets. Dual-sub sheets would be great also. They're probably as popular as the single-sub set ups.

Thnx in advance!

:fing34:

Thnx Denim! They arrive tomorrow.

BTW - The FiDay X12's may be sold out now 'cause they're not showing on the website anymore. Got my order in just in time I guess.

I panicked when I saw the 12's were gone and ordered 4 of the 10's. I have the juice available, so I'll probably run all 4-10's in that 4.8 @ 32hz box instead of the 2-12's. Close to the same external box size and very similar transient response, but far more radiant area (+28%). Should be badass.