hondakilla98

Skar vvx12 Down fire vs rear fire for suv box

I want to have a smaller sub for when I travel or haul things. I currently have a 4 cu ft box with an re sx15 firing up and port back. It doesn't leave me much storage room in the back. Since I can't stack anything on top of the box, or by the port. So I'm thinking about a downfiring rear firing box for one Skar vvx12. It would be on the drivers side. Aprox 14" wide, 13" tall, and 27" long, with 4-5" feet on the bottom. The port would be about 4" off my hatch. I'm thinking about a slot port 2" high and 12.5" wide. Net volume 1.7 tuned to 32 hz. This is for daily listening at reasonable volumes. I'm looking for a 5-600 watt amp to run it off of.

How much room should I have between the sub and floor? Should I put an mdf false floor under the sub, to keep the carpet from absorbing the sound? How far does the port need to be from my hatch? Should I fire the port back or down?

Doing a box with the sub firing down, with a false floor, it will give off a bandpass effect. Which could be bad if it gave off the wrong tuning, it would throw off the whole response of the sub.

If your worried about the sub touching other stuff you could always try a 4th order bandpass. It will yield similar results of a ported box. Then you won't have to worry about what my other part of the post says.

You could also make a grill to go over the subwoofer and the port. Then you could face it in the direction that you want without having to worry about stuff hitting it.

I want to be able to completely load the back of my jeep with gear and or bags. With a downfiring setup. I can pile bags on top and next to the sub. My other option is sub and port back. I also like the fact that with a downfiring box. It's less noticeable to thieves. Maybe I'll just go sub back and port back.

I see that you are looking for a amp. I have a Linear Power 2202. Its 220w x2. So around 450-500w x1 bridged. Just tryin to help you out. If your interested, PM me.

Good luck!

I see that you are looking for a amp. I have a Linear Power 2202. Its 220w x2. So around 450-500w x1 bridged. Just tryin to help you out. If your interested, PM me.

Good luck!

You probably want more than I'm going to spend on sub and box, but I'll bite. PM sent.

I had a down firing sealed setup that sounded great, besides home setups I havent heard a ported one yet. I almost went that direction in my truck and curious how that would sound.