Gboogie28

Difference between dc alt models

Whats the difference say between the 270xp and the 320hp model dc alternators? I saw people say the xp is better than the hp but what advantates does it have over the higher output 320HP?

Did you run the comparison on their site? It gives a side by side of everything...

The "HP" series alternators are the smaller of the two hairpins, and we build them either 180, 250, or 320.. For their size, they are untouchable for output. Smaller than a CS130 Delco alt yet they will outrun most every 300+ amp GM large case alternator at idle too, but with a LOT less load on the engine due to the efficiency. Their best use is in multiples, I can stack 5 in the place of 4 LG case GM's, get 600 amps or so at idle, and 1600+ amps at 1500 RPM's..

The XP is the "large" case hairpin alternator, and is designed just for idle output. It's the best there is, hands down.. I dont know how many thousands we've sold, still have yet to see a single hard failure.. They are pretty much in-destructable. The big XP, the 390 will do 215-230 at what our competition rates their idle at.. I've seen them hit 415 or so, but our old bench would trip the breaker then...

For a lot of import cars, and a lot of Domestic cars a 320HP will have more idle output than stock, and 3x the output cruising.. Awesome little alts...

Thank you my man Rob, thats exactly what i was looking for. I have a imort( acura) so the HP wasy only option from what i was told so thats what i got was a 320A alt. Thanks guys

We just had a customer bring us a JDM B16 type R motor to do some work on, and yours should be the same.. Point being, with a motor sitting in my hands, I can make an XP work, I just have to make a new bracket. Problem is, we have a 1 day design, and 5-7 days for the fab shop to make a run..

So, at the time you ordered, your right, no XP was available, however, within the next 2-3 weeks it will be available.. If you want to wait for an XP, I'll upgrade you at no cost for waiting... Rob

I called and left a message on your machine so feel free to call me asap. I talked to someone else and was told the HP alt would be sent out in the next day or two so hopefully we can talk before that. Thanks ROb

We just had a customer bring us a JDM B16 type R motor to do some work on, and yours should be the same.. Point being, with a motor sitting in my hands, I can make an XP work, I just have to make a new bracket. Problem is, we have a 1 day design, and 5-7 days for the fab shop to make a run..

So, at the time you ordered, your right, no XP was available, however, within the next 2-3 weeks it will be available.. If you want to wait for an XP, I'll upgrade you at no cost for waiting... Rob

WoW that's effin amazing!

WoW that's effin amazing!

---->2x^^

you're gonna wait I assume? lol.. I would....

you're gonna wait I assume? lol.. I would....

Well i cant get ahold of him but i dont have that engine he is talking about either. I have a C35a acura engine that is a 3.5l engine for a acura rl, the last one they made not a vtec engine and much bigger than the little 4 cylinder and thats why i wanted to talk to him before it gets sent out. I left a messege so im just waiting for a call back

Edited by Gboogie28

I'm assuming HP alts do not have temp monitor sensing like the XP alts do...

So, do you guys have any information on how long an HP alt can standup to maximum output before typical failure occurs?

Well i cant get ahold of him but i dont have that engine he is talking about either. I have a j32a acura engine that is a 3.5l engine for a acura rl, and thats why i wanted to talk to him before it gets sent out. I left a messege so im just waiting for a call back

What year do you have, I just picked up an 1998 Acura 3.5RL and im looking for an alternator myself?

Well i cant get ahold of him but i dont have that engine he is talking about either. I have a j32a acura engine that is a 3.5l engine for a acura rl, and thats why i wanted to talk to him before it gets sent out. I left a messege so im just waiting for a call back

I

What year do you have, I just picked up an 1998 Acura 3.5RL and im looking for an alternator myself?

I have a 04 but we have the same engines. I curently have a 180A alt in my car now but im upgrading to 270-320. If you want the one i take out, let me know, ive only had it about 3 months so its mint still. But if not and want to go new, thats cool too

So, do you guys have any information on how long an HP alt can standup to maximum output before typical failure occurs?

Why wouldnt it? I think, but could be wrong, that they all have the temp sensing.

I called and left a message on your machine so feel free to call me asap. I talked to someone else and was told the HP alt would be sent out in the next day or two so hopefully we can talk before that. Thanks ROb

I had to run down to Long Beach to pick up regulators for Denso for your alternator today(as well as others) so it will ship tomorrow.. Since it was brought up, ALL of our regulators have temp compensation. Some have more than others (late model Toyota's are worst, Honda's are decent, and our standard regulator has the least amount of compensation.. It's literally so close impossible to fry one of these alts because the level of safety in the regulators is so high. They are so smart, they'll run literally at 99.5% of capacity continuously without failure.. We've endurance ran 390XP's on the new bench balls to the wall, and burned up belts before we ever even got remotely close to hurting the alt.. In short, the HP/XP regulators straight up PWN everything else I've ever seen.. BUT we use nothing but NEW OEM regulators, and they are EXPENSIVE! To give you an idea, with NO exaggeration are pushing $80 a POP... Chinese regulators that our competition uses, are seriously 1/10 of that.. We have ZERO defects, they run 20%.. Ours integrate 100% perfectly with the PCM, theirs have all the OEM features disabled and throw codes..

On a Honda, this is like, HUGELY important.. The PCM and alternator are SO closely intertwined that when you separate them, you instantly take a 5mpg hit usually, your car will shake like a MF'r at idle, and it's just, not, good practice.. At least we will be upfront and tell you straight up why we do things a certain way, instead of color coat it with BS. Yeah, let's hang Fords WORST alternator they ever designed in a Honda, yank the PCM's control, and call it success... whatever... Anyways /rant /soapbox

Back to the 3.5L Honda, I dont know how we're going to do exactly, yet with the way the mount is..

IMG_0314.jpg

That alternator is in there TIGHT, and even though the XP's are just a bit bigger, the case just wont fit.. I know I can make a new one to fit these, but it's not even on my radar until we have our machines in and running. Sometime this spring, it will be done, but it's down the line a bit.. Besides, a 320 on this car with the pulley ratio's it has is actually really, really strong.. An XP with stock pulleys, 200 at idle no problem, with full PCM integration so it will actually WORK...

Longer than either your amp or subs will handle it wide open continuously.. On the bench, they'll take 30 minutes wide open at least, on a car, who knows.. If Kyle couldn't kill a 150HP on an SAZ3500 at .5 in his Camry beating on it from LA to Vegas and back wide open, it's not a worry for me... And just for FYI, the XP/HP run the same regulators...

I had to run down to Long Beach to pick up regulators for Denso for your alternator today(as well as others) so it will ship tomorrow.. Since it was brought up, ALL of our regulators have temp compensation. Some have more than others (late model Toyota's are worst, Honda's are decent, and our standard regulator has the least amount of compensation.. It's literally so close impossible to fry one of these alts because the level of safety in the regulators is so high. They are so smart, they'll run literally at 99.5% of capacity continuously without failure.. We've endurance ran 390XP's on the new bench balls to the wall, and burned up belts before we ever even got remotely close to hurting the alt.. In short, the HP/XP regulators straight up PWN everything else I've ever seen.. BUT we use nothing but NEW OEM regulators, and they are EXPENSIVE! To give you an idea, with NO exaggeration are pushing $80 a POP... Chinese regulators that our competition uses, are seriously 1/10 of that.. We have ZERO defects, they run 20%.. Ours integrate 100% perfectly with the PCM, theirs have all the OEM features disabled and throw codes..

On a Honda, this is like, HUGELY important.. The PCM and alternator are SO closely intertwined that when you separate them, you instantly take a 5mpg hit usually, your car will shake like a MF'r at idle, and it's just, not, good practice.. At least we will be upfront and tell you straight up why we do things a certain way, instead of color coat it with BS. Yeah, let's hang Fords WORST alternator they ever designed in a Honda, yank the PCM's control, and call it success... whatever... Anyways /rant /soapbox

Back to the 3.5L Honda, I dont know how we're going to do exactly, yet with the way the mount is..

IMG_0314.jpg

That alternator is in there TIGHT, and even though the XP's are just a bit bigger, the case just wont fit.. I know I can make a new one to fit these, but it's not even on my radar until we have our machines in and running. Sometime this spring, it will be done, but it's down the line a bit.. Besides, a 320 on this car with the pulley ratio's it has is actually really, really strong.. An XP with stock pulleys, 200 at idle no problem, with full PCM integration so it will actually WORK...

Ok thanks rob.

So you think for the time being, im better off and just as good with the HP320 then? What do you think my idle output will look like? On the site it says 100A at idle, is that pretty accurate? Im going to be running about 5k at minumim with a handful of xs power batteries so i just make sure the HP will be sufficient.

The 320 will do at least 110-120 at idle on most imports, you'll probably be up in the 130-140 range.. I've never had any complaints on the Honda/Acura V6's, so I dont think my numbers are too far off.. If it was one of those gray areas believe me, I would have heard about it.. If your not happy though, I expect to hear about it!! Rob

I

I have a 04 but we have the same engines. I curently have a 180A alt in my car now but im upgrading to 270-320. If you want the one i take out, let me know, ive only had it about 3 months so its mint still. But if not and want to go new, thats cool too

Not looking for one right now, just pricing honestly but thanks for the heads up though. I will be tuned in to this to see what I should do for my Acura as well.

I

Not looking for one right now, just pricing honestly but thanks for the heads up though. I will be tuned in to this to see what I should do for my Acura as well.

No problem man. I will have my alt in the car in a couole weeks but my system wont be all up and running until the weather gets a little nicer. I will be making build videos too on my youtube BassBrokeIt so stay tuned

Sounds good. XP/ HP alts for the win by far!

Curious thing i'm almost dying to see is when Dave has some free time, he's suppose to be the mastermind on attempting to fit 2 320hps on Kyle's car, lmao! AND... without relocating anything...

We share the same engine compartment and i can't even see fitting 2 stock cases in there....

It is a very interesting project we were talking about one day..

Is it possible? who knows.

What's even worse in the back of my head is trying to make over 600A on a 2.4L.. or even worse... 320A at idle.. That sounds like crank or engine failure to me... But fun times nonetheless..

Well, at least in my car there is room for two no problem. I'm thinking a 320HP and a 270XP.

And yes, it's possible. :] Either dual 320s, one XP and one HP or something of that matter.

Well, at least in my car there is room for two no problem. I'm thinking a 320HP and a 270XP.

And yes, it's possible. :] Either dual 320s, one XP and one HP or something of that matter.

Sounds awesome! Id like to see the vid of that for sure

Hehe, I'd like to see that.

Kyle just *thinks* we're going to do a dual kit on his Camry.... Maybe when he gets his system done I'll think about it... lol (J/K Kyle, since I know your going to read this)