Sign in to follow this  
Hzd Skizzy

Sealed Box.

Hello, I am finishing up on my box and all I need to do is put my aeros in.

I wanted to know if it would be a problem if I had an overly large sealed enclosure. I do realize the bigger the enclosure, means less power handling but better efficiency. I have 2 AA Havoc 12's on an saz-2500d. It has come to a conclusion that these I can't find a good alternator for my vehicle which basically forces me to run 4 ohm (if I have voltage problems at 1 ohm.) So I'll be running around roughly 600 watts. Which sucks. The enclosure is meant to be a 3.90ft^3 box @ 33hz. But I'm wondering since i havent made the aero holes yet, If I can just make it a temporary sealed box at around 4.20 (had to subtract out aero displacement).

Thanks.

I don't see a problem. You "could" kill them either way.

Set the gain while you can see they are short of max excursion with test tones/sweeps.

You could put something in the box to take up space and run them sealed until you get the aeros in.

When I've tuned sealed enclosures in the past, I'll build the box to the largest volume I'd consider using.

I'd then add taped up phone books, sheets of foam board or whatever I had on hand that was solid to take up air space.

When I found the volume I was happy with, I'd rebuild the enclosure to those new specifications. It saved time and cash that way.

Edited by cobra93

I'm a little confused.

Why do you want to run them sealed, when you're almost done making it a ported enclosure?

Set the gain while you can see they are short of max excursion with test tones/sweeps.

You could put something in the box to take up space and run them sealed until you get the aeros in.

When I've tuned sealed enclosures in the past, I'll build the box to the largest volume I'd consider using.

I'd then add taped up phone books, sheets of foam board or whatever I had on hand that was solid to take up air space.

When I found the volume I was happy with, I'd rebuild the enclosure to those new specifications. It saved time and cash that way.

x2, if your worried about it then add wooden blocks or something to take away some extra internal volume you dont want.

Whats the displacement on those Havocs, considering getting a pair myself? Thanks

As efficient as they might be in a large sealed box, a proper ported box will be that much more efficient. At low freqs the ported enclosure will KILL the large sealed one. Power handling becomes a moot point as well. The ported enclosure will keep the cones well under control.

Ah yeah, i don't know why but I didn't think of that. Thanks for the info man.

I'm a little confused.

Why do you want to run them sealed, when you're almost done making it a ported enclosure?

I haven't really ordered the aeros yet due to the fact I'm waiting on a bank transfer. It would be sealed for 2 weeks probably at most.

x2, if your worried about it then add wooden blocks or something to take away some extra internal volume you dont want.

Whats the displacement on those Havocs, considering getting a pair myself? Thanks

I think I may throw something in there temporarily.

Yeah the havocs displacement is not on the website and Nick said go with .20 just to be sure. I thought that was kind of big. If there's a way i can go measure the thing and calculate the displacement, just tell me how and I can get back to ya.

As efficient as they might be in a large sealed box, a proper ported box will be that much more efficient. At low freqs the ported enclosure will KILL the large sealed one. Power handling becomes a moot point as well. The ported enclosure will keep the cones well under control.

Yeah the ported would be better sounding but eventually it will be ported. As far as power handling goes, i'll only have 600 on both woofers because of my new found electrical problem. It's either wait 2 weeks or play sealed then ported. right now imcontemplating just waiting.

Im gonna ask Brian, the dealer on here what the displacement is Im thinking its .15-.16ft^3. It cant be .20ft^3 because the 12" mayhem is .18ft^3 and it has a triple stacked magnet. The havoc has double stacked magnets, Ill let you know when I find out.

Yeah I was thinking the same. But Havocs are also triple stacked like the Mayhems but I think the mayhems have thicker slugs. But either way the havoc can't be more diplacement then the mayhem, i agree. Also, thanks if you find out.

Just run the ported box. Like taxi said it'll be more efficient which means you'll need to use less power for a given output level compared to the sealed enclosure.

don't see why you couldn't run it sealed for the time being.