Sign in to follow this  
dale315

SSA Icon 10 Enclosure

Currently I'm running a 10" Icon in a 1.5 cube box at 32hz with 1000-1200rms. Is there much of a difference if I used a smaller box such as 1-1.35 cubes with the same tuning?

No, don't bother building the new box.

Currently I'm running a 10" Icon in a 1.5 cube box at 32hz with 1000-1200rms. Is there much of a difference if I used a smaller box such as 1-1.35 cubes with the same tuning?

Yes there will be a differene, how much of a difference will be hard to tell. Usually with a smaller box you lose efficiency (sub will need more power to perform) and you may sacrifice some low end and gain some more overall output. This is usually the difference between bigger and smaller boxes.

The question is why do you want to go to a smaller box, this will determine if it will be justifiable. Is it worth it I doubt it but more information will on why you want to change box sizes will help us answer this question better. A change in box size from 1.5-1.35 wont yield that much of a difference but 1.5-1.0 will.

Yes there will be a differene, how much of a difference will be hard to tell. Usually with a smaller box you gain efficiency (sub will need less power to perform) and you may sacrifice some low end and gain some more overall output. This is usually the difference between bigger and smaller boxes.

The question is why do you want to go to a smaller box, this will determine if it will be justifiable. Is it worth it I doubt it but more information will on why you want to change box sizes will help us answer this question better. A change in box size from 1.5-1.35 wont yield that much of a difference but 1.5-1.0 will.

That's polar opposite of the truth.

Bigger box = increased efficiency, less power handling

smaller box = decreased efficiency, more power handling.

Don't bother building a new box if your going from 1.5cubes to 1.35cubes. Unless your competing and trying to gain some power handling then perhaps, but if you were seriously competing you wouldn't have asked the question.

Fixed, typing to fast.

Fixed, typing to fast.

I get stuff mixed up all the time :P

Just didn't want the OP getting confused lol

Unless you need to gain back the cargo space, leave it in the larger enclosure. :)