Sign in to follow this  
nigel

looking for opinions

Well, as some may know (from my thread in the subwoofer/speaker forum) I have an RE Audio seX 15D4 coming my way. So, I am in need of building an enclosure for it.

So, this will be going in the back of a Chev S-10, and will be powered by a JBL 601.1 amp (receiving ~600 watts RMS)

This will not be for competitions of any kind, however I do enjoy listening to music, as such I want something that has the ability to sound decent and yet still get fairly loud for just general driving around use.

So, for dimensions, I can go up to 40.5" wide by 18" high by 14" deep (outside measures). I am looking to do a ported enclosure. Not decided on whether I should go slot port or round, so looking for opinions there.

I did some pre-calculations on my end already, and with using my max dimensions heres what I got.

Sub facing forward (centered in enclosure) with ports facing up

Box outside dimensions 40.5" wide by 18" high by 14" deep. Dual round ports (4" wide will this be enough port area or will it create too much resistance/noise?) Ports would be 10.526" long (each)

This would get me (after subtracting wall thickness, port displacement and sub displacement) a net enclosure volume of 4.332 cubic ft and tune to 34 Hz. Then I planned on adding two braces (made of wood) which would take up 0.0537 cubic ft each, so after the two, net volume would be 4.2246 Cubic feet.

My main questions are:

1) will (2) 4 inch round ports be sufficient port surface area so as to prevent port noise?

2) is sub forward ports up a good configuration? As this is the best way I see of doing this.

3) Does this enclosure look good?

Any opinions greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Edited by nigel