Sign in to follow this  
nigel

slot ported enclosure

Okay, have done some reading around, and from what I'm seeing is that guys are getting good results in x-cab s-dimes with an up-firing sub/ side firing port design.

So, I'm thinking I might give this a try.

vehicle: 03 chev s-10

subwoofer: RE Audio SEx 15 (dual 4 ohm coils)

Amplifier: JBL GTO 601 (600 watts @ 2 ohms)

Looking at doing an enclosure out of .75" MDF

Outside measurements: 15" height * 40" width * 16" depth

Slot port: 14.5" wide * 3" high (port area of 43.5") * 23.5" long (tuning ~33.5 Hz)

Net enclosure volume: 3.6 ft^3

Big question I have is, will 43.5" of port area be enough, or do I need more to prevent terrible port noise?

Thanks for your opinions in advance.

I have my current IA DR 18" front firing with side firing dual 4" Aero's per side and it sounds great imo.

good. That was one of my main conceerns, was how is the sound of these style enclosures, but so far, everyone who has one that's commented has said they enjoy the sound of these boxes as well.

Looks like this is the style I'll be building, but my main concern is 43.5 sq. inches of port area enough so as to avoid port chaffing?

I used to use an online calculator to show this, but for the life of me I cannot remember what website it was on. Had a calculator to show port velocity, by putting in size of driver, one way linear xmax, rms power, and port area would show velocity and what number to keep it under so as to avoid hearing it.