Sign in to follow this  
tgk

Running single coil on dual voice coil sub

Hi all,

I was curious, has the topic ever come up on here about running one of the Fi dual voice coil subs with only one voice coil connected? I was reading through a forum post on the12volt.com about how it should not damage a subwoofer if the loss of heat dissipation is accounted for by running at a lower power level. Obviously it is better to run both coils whenever possible, but it might be useful to run single coil if someone were stuck in a non-ideal amp setup.

the12volt thread

What % of RMS power would be acceptable to send to a dvc sub in single coil configuration?

Thanks

I have had a few people ask me this also. I say just cut the power ratings in half. The link you posted also states this. I am not saying this is correct but I have never had a speaker "break" by doing this. I personally would not do this for my own setup however. With all the different coil configurations companies offer nowadays it is easy to get a new or used speaker for your needs.

Hi all,

I was curious, has the topic ever come up on here about running one of the Fi dual voice coil subs with only one voice coil connected? I was reading through a forum post on the12volt.com about how it should not damage a subwoofer if the loss of heat dissipation is accounted for by running at a lower power level. Obviously it is better to run both coils whenever possible, but it might be useful to run single coil if someone were stuck in a non-ideal amp setup.

the12volt thread

What % of RMS power would be acceptable to send to a dvc sub in single coil configuration?

Thanks

Ive ran my bl's on a single coil for a few month's without issues :eek5wavey:

You only have half of your motor force, half of your power handling mostly due to half of the amount of tinsel leads..and the rest of the coil is just dead mass..

Easiest way is to..not do it :)

While we dont tell people its OK, you can fudge it a little by shorting the non-powered coil. Simple jumper across the + and - terminal and it will bring TS specs a little closer to original values. Otherwise, Qts is significantly higher. Power is a different story... and while not cut in half, it can have issues with higher current through a single set of leads over other wiring scenarios which can lead to issues.

Thanks,

Scott

Sign in to follow this