Sign in to follow this  
whytee

Xcon 18 in hatchback box build

Well my set up starts as this the 18 inch xcon will be going in my rear seat of my 1993 ford mustang gt i already have a cheap 15 inch sub in the hatch (its on its way to being replaced just figuring out with what) so back seat is where the xcon goes

Now i have enough space for almost optimal ported box but it cuts visability down a fair bit and this is a daily driver. So my questions are how much sound loss would i loose roughly going with a sealed build as to a ported build ( not really going for sq tho most know xcons sound amazing anways).

2nd ? if i do go ported is there a huge diffrence between going say 6ft^3 affter displacement and bracing as apposed to say 7+ft^3.

Granted any of these setups would be on roughly 1500/1600 rms to the xcon.

Goals of build to hit low bass very well being stupid loud 150db+ not needed this is a daily driver but i dont want to sell the sub short either, no point getting an 18 to not play it the way it was built for.

Edited by whytee

Welcome .... :drink40:

The XCONS will perform great in a sealed enclosure. If your going for more of an sq setup sealed might be your best choice. Though XCONS sound great in ported as well.

Thanx glad to be here.

So id still be fairly loud in the sealed box, like i said super loud is not needed but i do want to shake if possible. thanx for the fast response aswell.

If your wanting the box to be below the window line I would either go sealed or go with Aero ports as they will take up less internal airspace and decrease your port area by up to 50%.

There a lot of members here who have run XCONS both sealed and ported. They will chime when they see this post.

Dont think ill be able to get below window line would just like to be below headrest of seat is the main goal. Im rather tall so just need a tiny bit but am willing to go ported if im going to see a huge increase in spl ( granted not super loud but would like to push the sub to its best specs if possible)

Dont think ill be able to get below window line would just like to be below headrest of seat is the main goal. Im rather tall so just need a tiny bit but am willing to go ported if im going to see a huge increase in spl ( granted not super loud but would like to push the sub to its best specs if possible)

Go ported if you can. It will be more than you expect lol!

ya thats what i was thinking,now is there really a big diffrence between min ported box size and optimalcause around 6 ft^3 is about perfect 7 ft^3+ starts to go past the head rest

ya thats what i was thinking,now is there really a big diffrence between min ported box size and optimalcause around 6 ft^3 is about perfect 7 ft^3+ starts to go past the head rest

Nothing really audible to the ear.

That s perfect then, min port will fit very nicely. thanx for all the help :)

I had a 15" xcon in both, ported and sealed box.

It gets loud and clean sealed, but you will see a good increase in output if you try a ported box. Tune it as SSA tells you ( 28 to 34 Hz) and you will love it.

I loved mine with 2 4" aeroports. Save space for sure !

You answered your own question "Stupid loud 150+db" thats a ported box if everything you said in your taste is true!

:dancing:

Thanx for all the responses guys very helpful. Looks like my perfect box size will be just over 6ft^3. Still gives me plenty of room without much audible loss. I just didnt want to sell the woofer short on box build just to save a few inches in space but with the few inch loss not being an issue thats great. thanx guys

Dont be afraid to seal it up they still get very loud and sound wonderful, but if you can get at least 6cft @ 33hz after all displacements...Do it. You will love it.

:drink40: