zyskatr

Port type/direction

Hey guys..I haven't completely started building anything just yet and this will be my first build and was just wondering about the port type and location of it and the subs. I don't have any exact dimensions or anything just yet just need to get a simple idea first. I have 2 T12's (rockford) in a prefab box now and wanted to make an good box for them. Any idea's on port type, sub and port location would be appreciated. And any first time building tips! I've heard a lot about subs up and port back but not sure if anything else would sound better in a hatchback.

Thank for the help in advance,

Ted

Hey Ted.

Typically when you do subs up port back, you get a lot of concaellation. However in your application it may work VERY WELL. Many men will use slot ports and always do sub forward and port forward. I may reccommend putting the port on the left hand side. And both of the subs to the right of it. this is typically ideal for numbers. Also many guys may persuade you to use an aero port a guy on here named "gumbysmoke" just remember aeros are good. But nobody in world finals ever uses them. So obviously slots can perform very well.

We need some more information before we can really help. What do you drive? What woofers? How much power? What are your goals?

in terms of physics, port shape doesn't matter. your best bet, if your serious about this, is to build a test box or two and test them in different locations in the vehicle (various distances from the hatch) and in different orientations. general rule-of-thumb practices dont really exist in car audio although if someone has done significant testing in the same model vehicle as yours it may give you a place to start. however, your results may or may not be the same and you wont know without testing things out.

We need some more information before we can really help. What do you drive? What woofers? How much power? What are your goals?

I drive a 2003 hyundai tiburon coupe gt...i have 2 rockford fosgate power T1 (12's) on a rockford fosgate T1500bdcp amp. I would like to have a box that would have good sound quality, hit lower and get higher numbers. I think anything would be an improvement from the box I have. Right now I have a prefab subs facing up and slotted port in middle. In this box each sub has its own port that both come out in the middle. [ O []l[] O ] thats how it looks now. I'm at work so I cant upload any pics.

Its on my youtube channel though if that would help. Check the vids for a visual if needed.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MLGjack3d?feature=mhum

Thanks!

Subs up, port back, normally yields the best results in hatchbacks, coupes, and SUV's, I'd go that route.

Hey Ted.

Typically when you do subs up port back, you get a lot of concaellation. However in your application it may work VERY WELL. Many men will use slot ports and always do sub forward and port forward. I may reccommend putting the port on the left hand side. And both of the subs to the right of it. this is typically ideal for numbers. Also many guys may persuade you to use an aero port a guy on here named "gumbysmoke" just remember aeros are good. But nobody in world finals ever uses them. So obviously slots can perform very well.

so your suggesting subs facing forward and port on the side? because of my limited room i was thinking subs up and a slotted port along the bottom back end. i would get a bigger port this way. if you look at my youtube vids you can get a visual of the room i have. going port on the side i think it may be a little small.

**I'll have dimensions later tonight so I'll post them, that would probly help a lot.

Thanks for the help!

Subs up, port back, normally yields the best results in hatchbacks, coupes, and SUV's, I'd go that route.

That's what I was thinking.

Thanks!

in terms of physics, port shape doesn't matter. your best bet, if your serious about this, is to build a test box or two and test them in different locations in the vehicle (various distances from the hatch) and in different orientations. general rule-of-thumb practices dont really exist in car audio although if someone has done significant testing in the same model vehicle as yours it may give you a place to start. however, your results may or may not be the same and you wont know without testing things out.

i would like to do that but i dont have access to a meter to figure out what works best and hardly have the money right now to build one box let alone mulitple. (in the process of buying a house). but thanks for the suggestion!

Hey Ted.

so your suggesting subs facing forward and port on the side? because of my limited room i was thinking subs up and a slotted port along the bottom back end. i would get a bigger port this way. if you look at my youtube vids you can get a visual of the room i have. going port on the side i think it may be a little small.

**I'll have dimensions later tonight so I'll post them, that would probly help a lot.

Thanks for the help!

Got the dimensions...I could go 16-18 on length,34 width, and 17-20 on height.