well im lookin for a new amplifier i have a crappy one at the moment i got it free thats the only reason i have it. theres this jbl amp ive been lookkin at its 400 watts ? idk much bout jbl and i was gonna ask for yalls opinions .. i also was lookin at a rockford fosgate or memphis... the memphis is only 150 watts its a 2 channel amp..i want more power than that whats yalls opinions?

i want enough power so i can keep the amp for a while cuz ill be upgradin subs sooner or later.. and i dont want to have to purchase amps over and over again :hyper:

Edited by Jordantyler

It really depends what you plan on upgrading to, wouldn't want you to spend money on power you'll never need. Also gonna need a budget to get ya started :P

Amp for what ?

speakers subs ?

sub..

..true probably just a 12 memphis maybe or maybe another 10 idk yet .. at the moment my amp is so bad that i cant put it on high mode or the protection mode light comes on abd shuts off my sub.. its in low and the gain isnt turned up really that much..i mean this guy wants my amp for his 6x9s and he told me he would buy me an amplifier. how many watts would yall think i should look into?

I'm guessing ~500wrms would be good, depending on the sub model. Maybe something from Memphis or Orion. How much money do you have to work with?

I'm guessing ~500wrms would be good, depending on the sub model. Maybe something from Memphis or Orion. How much money do you have to work with?

not sure really.. he was like u after i get my amp for my sub ill get u an amp.. well the amps they have that are pretty cheap are 150 watts its a memphis and a jl audio... but i dont think that would be enough power would it?.. the jbl is 400 watts..i havent been there in a week or so they probably have more stuff those were just the cheap ones i was lookin at he probably wont spend more than a 100

Tell him to give you the $100 and let us help find you a real amp.

for 700+ watts of a good name company with warrenty, I would say atleast $225

HCCAfan is making an Orion order soon, and flakko can give good prices on US AMPs, both excellent amplifer companies

HCCAfan is making an Orion order soon, and flakko can give good prices on US AMPs, both excellent amplifer companies

X2, either option is great and the support local to this site which is a bonus as well. This way in a year or two you won't think about upgrading and if you "overpower" your current setup you can just turn down the gains!

are the amps on ikesound good?..thanks for ur help!

Some can be and some can be lemons. They do a lot of refurbs, if it were me I would listen to Denim and acquire either a US or Orion from someone here. It might not be the absolute cheapest, but super quality for a good price.

Some can be and some can be lemons.  They do a lot of refurbs, if it were me I would listen to Denim and acquire either a US or Orion from someone here.  It might not be the absolute cheapest, but super quality for a good price.

alright! i was just wonderin bout ikesound ca.com thought it was like the best site or wahtever i just wanted yall opinions on it..have yall ever had a rockford punch he2 sub?... waht did yall think bout em...

They're alright, decent bump but kinda sloppy IMO.

like the type R's?

What is this type R you speak of?? :P

On a serious note, are you sure your amp you have now is not having an impedance problem with your current driver(s)?

On a serious note, are you sure your amp you have now is not having an impedance problem with your current driver(s)?

what do u mean by that haha im really slow when it comes to this right here.. sorry

Does your wiring of the subwoofer match the allowable impedance load of your amplifier. In other words, do you have the amp running bridged mono, stereo, etc, and how is it wired?

WTF?!

I am very friendly. I explained it well.

We're all nOObS!!! Forever learning my friend.

Does your wiring of the subwoofer match the allowable impedance load of your amplifier.  In other words, do you have the amp running bridged mono, stereo, etc, and how is it wired?

im not sure?? what does it mean when its stereo?? i have my amp hooked up to the back of the stereo if thats waht u mean lol.. im sure i sound stupid.. but i dont know exactly what u mean..

It's koo. Been there before.

Okay, stereo means 2 channels, left and right. When you bridge an amp, you are basically summing the left and right channels to make one channel (mono). This is common practice when using a 2 channel amp to drive a subwoofer.

Now, the drivers voice coils have a nominal impedance which is just like a measurement of resistance. In your case, the subwoofer has dual voice coils, each rated at 4 ohms. Now, you could either run each coil to each channel (left and right), or bridge the amp and use it as one channel, yet wire up the two coils on your sub to act as one. With this you can do one of two things; wire them up in series, or parallel. The series wiring scheme is your only option here as it will give you a safe load to use your amp in mono. Series will double the impedance, meaning that both your 4 ohm voicecoils will present an 8ohm nominal load to the amplifier. Running them in parallel will halve that and present the amp a 2 ohm load. A series wiring will have the positive of one coil connect to the negative of the other coil and the speaker wires from the amp will go from the positive to the open positive terminal on one voicecoil, and the negative from the amp to the negative of the other voicecoil. When wiring in parallel, they are all wired commonly to the same point, meaning the positives from either coil will both go to the positive on the amp and the negatives from either coil will go to the negative on the amp.

It's koo.  Been there before.

Okay, stereo means 2 channels, left and right.  When you bridge an amp, you are basically summing the left and right channels to make one channel (mono).  This is common practice when using a 2 channel amp to drive a subwoofer. 

Now, the drivers voice coils have a nominal impedance which is just like a measurement of resistance.  In your case, the subwoofer has dual voice coils, each rated at 4 ohms.  Now, you could either run each coil to each channel (left and right), or bridge the amp and use it as one channel, yet wire up the two coils on your sub to act as one.  With this you can do one of two things; wire them up in series, or parallel.  The series wiring scheme is your only option here as it will give you a safe load to use your amp in mono.  Series will double the impedance, meaning that both your 4 ohm voicecoils will present an 8ohm nominal load to the amplifier.  Running them in parallel will halve that and present the amp a 2 ohm load.  A series wiring will have the positive of one coil connect to the negative of the other coil and the speaker wires from the amp will go from the positive to the open positive terminal on one voicecoil, and the negative from the amp to the negative of the other voicecoil.  When wiring in parallel, they are all wired commonly to the same point, meaning the positives from either coil will both go to the positive on the amp and the negatives from either coil will go to the negative on the amp.

wow that makes alot more sense.. well my amp is 4 channel..and i took my sub out the other day to look at it and the wires on the back of the sub were crossover?? is that a certain way.. i mean it looked crossed over??

oh yah and the type r : this one.. idk if its very good ? http://ikesound.com/product-product_id/3352