Ktownmazda6

Is it possible?

New to the audio scene and was posed with this question.. Lets say I am trying to squeeze a box into my car, and the trunk fully stripped, can only accept a box that is a max height of 15.5". Would it be possible to fit a 15" Fi SSD in a box that was reduced to 15.5 inches tall? Wouldn't that affect the integrity of the box, being that thin on the top and bottom, or would that even work period?

More in depth:

Id have to bet that there would be a lot of sanding/sawing involved. I am in a predicament, as my sub faces up in my 1st gen mazda 6 sedan. The actual trunkspace has PLENTY of width, and depth, but the entrance inlet from trunk, or seats is not vary tall. As stated in a post a few months back, in a pretty much now dead thread.. I stripped my whole trunk to bare metal, including removing the back seats, and a 18Hx15.5Dx38.25W box would not fit normal. I had to put it to where the sub was pointing up.

Bromo gave me plans for a 3 cu ft. box at 17Hx14Dx38W (props to you Bromo), but I am still concerned of spending money for the build, and it still not fit.

Long story short, is 15.5" mounting height possible for a 15" fi ssd?

(I prefer to describe situations, so you guys have more info.)

Thanks in advance!

-Chance

Diagonal baffle ftmfw!!

Oh snap!

15inchs figure the wood on top and bottom .75x2=1.50....15inchs on a sub is only from its surround not including the gasket so the asnswer i would assume for the information you gave me would be NO F***ing way in hell it would fit. Have to find another way to fit the box in the trunk only way i can think is diagnall. Good luck with the box.

Edited by Dictator

Diagonal baffle ftmfw!!

^^that is what I was going to say..damn ninjas :lol:

Edited by Hunter

loll thanks guys. In noob language, diagonal baffle sounds like my greatest enemy right now. (granted theres not much of my brain left as I worked my 9 hours today, and I am tired).

What the heck might that be?

If I need to use the search button, I guess my lazy butt will do so.. lol. :suicide-santa:

Thanks Everyone!

Oh crap am I that retarded right now? Do you mean basically an angled box? ...FML if I am that retarded.

Oh crap am I that retarded right now? Do you mean basically an angled box? ...FML if I am that retarded.

Exactly. All you need is enough volume and for it to fit on the baffle so tip it :)

Exactly. All you need is enough volume and for it to fit on the baffle so tip it :)

Sweet. Does that effect the tuning or port in a great way? How would I calculate port dimensions when its angled like that? I know you guys are probably tired of hearing the same questions over and over from various people, but I am going to milk as much info as I can!! :fing34:

I apologize for that.

Sweet. Does that effect the tuning or port in a great way? How would I calculate port dimensions when its angled like that? I know you guys are probably tired of hearing the same questions over and over from various people, but I am going to milk as much info as I can!! :fing34:

I apologize for that.

heres a usefull tool

http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/boxcalcs.asp

You could use aero ports, or do a slot port on the side.

I apologize for that.

heres a usefull tool

http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/boxcalcs.asp

AHA!! So basically, in this instance, I would usy an angled box, with an aeroport!! Correct?

Thanks, sorry your post for some reason did not show up a sec ago.

Edited by Ktownmazda6

Actually it doesn't affect anything.

Geometry is still geometry. You need to calculate the volume and the required port. Normally with a slanted face you would choose to port on a non-slanted face or choose a length that could be perpendicular to the baffle surface and then absolutely nothing is different at all. Slot, round, aero are all computed the same way they would be in a normal shaped box.

Thanks, sorry your post for some reason did not show up a sec ago.

I haven't done any testing with trunk cars or specifically your mazda6 so I wouldn't know which port orientation would yield most output, perhaps others who've done builds with trunks can chime in.

I'd try finding more information on port placement, rear or side firing in trunk. Good luck

Thanks everyone!! Here is what I have come up with. It is a struggle for me, as I have never been good at anything geometry/number related, but here is what I came up with:

I made a angled box, with (1) aeroport. Tell me if this sounds right for approx 3 cu ft. 14"Hx24"Dx38.5"W, with the angled baffle being approx 27.8". (1) 6" round aeroport on the side, that is 18.848" deep.

I hope that makes sense? That claims about 3 cu ft. But idk if thats considered net or gross, or whatever.

Not sure if that's enough port area or not.

That volume is gross if you used an online calc from a site such as 12volt, you need to subtract the port displacement, driver displacement, and any bracing.

Your dimensions for the box seem to add up, Considering the box will have a right angle, A^2 + B^2 = C^2 (hypotenuse, or your angled baffle in this case).

24^2 + 14^2 = C^2, square root of 772 is 27.784

Not sure if that's enough port area or not.

That volume is gross if you used an online calc from a site such as 12volt, you need to subtract the port displacement, driver displacement, and any bracing.

Your dimensions for the box seem to add up, Considering the box will have a right angle, A^2 + B^2 = C^2 (hypotenuse, or your angled baffle in this case).

24^2 + 14^2 = C^2, square root of 772 is 27.784

Awesome..

I decided upon 15" H x 24" D x 41" W for now, with a 4" diameter port going 6" deep. Net for that box before sub and driver disp. was 3.47168. I should be ok, as long as I am 3 cu ft. or more. I think I will build this one after more research.

I just wanted to make sure I was at least having the right idea based on what you guys explained. I think if I do just a little more research, I will be good to go! Thanks a million for everybody's help and input!