Scheibler

Amp won't power on...trying to use a line out converter. Turning i

I'm trying to hook up my amp/subs to my factory bose radio in my 91 Legend. I've got an ssa dcon 10", alpine mrp-m350, knukonceptz 8-gauge wiring kit, and pac soem-t speaker to rca converter. I've tapped the rear speakers correctly and cannot get the amp to power on at all! I've tried different ground points. I'm connecting the blue wire from the pac loc converter to my amps remote connector b/c the pac says that is built in remote. The yellow wire which teh pac says to connect to a 12v constant source is connected to my bose amp power line from the headunit.

Do I need to run a seperate remote line or find a different 12v source? I'de just buy a whole new headunit, but my bose speakers run at 2ohm instead of normal headunits 4ohm. I can't seem to find a 4-pin speaker level harness anywhere locally and really don't want to wait on shipping even further.

Btw, I blew the fuse on the power line b/c I dropped the wire on the amp while it was grounded. I checked the fuses on the amp and they were fine...do you think I blew the amp? I replaced the 50amp agu fuse from knukonceptz with a 60amp fuse from radioshack

You dropped a live wire on the amp itself and expect it to work?

You should use a dmm and test the remote turn on from the pac for voltage.

it was an accident and thats what I'm asking. Dunno if that could of fried the amp or if it is just a user error wiring up the pac

okay so you have your yellow wire on your line out convert hooked up to your bose remote wire?

I assume the rear speaker are working when everything is on.

do you have access to a DMM? if so please check the voltage on the power wires going into the amp make sure those are 12volts. then turn on the system and check the blue wire to make sure that wire is also 12volts.

once that is done report back with your findings!

it was an accident and thats what I'm asking. Dunno if that could of fried the amp or if it is just a user error wiring up the pac

If you use a dmm and check the voltage on your power wire and it's above 12v (although it'd likely still start if it were lower 11v eh) then it's good.

Make sure your ground is good, making contact metal to metal, scrap away any paint in the way :P

You can check the remote turn on with the dmm, make sure it's got power or your amp will never turn on.

Another thing to test if your amp still works, and without using the pac is, run some wire from your rem input on amp to your power wire. This would make your amp stay on 24/7 so be sure to disconnect it after testing.

If the amp turns on and plays then the problem is in your pac, if it doesn't turn on, you likely fucked up the amp when you decided to see who would win, 12v lots of current short circuit vs amp case and internals lol.

If you use a dmm and check the voltage on your power wire and it's above 12v (although it'd likely still start if it were lower 11v eh) then it's good.

Make sure your ground is good, making contact metal to metal, scrap away any paint in the way :P

You can check the remote turn on with the dmm, make sure it's got power or your amp will never turn on.

Another thing to test if your amp still works, and without using the pac is, run some wire from your rem input on amp to your power wire. This would make your amp stay on 24/7 so be sure to disconnect it after testing.

If the amp turns on and plays then the problem is in your pac, if it doesn't turn on, you likely fucked up the amp when you decided to see who would win, 12v lots of current short circuit vs amp case and internals lol.

funny way of putting... but sucky if that happened.... :peepwall:

Lol well I got the amp to power on. But now I can't get the sub to do anything. Even went out and bought another amp(a JL Audio 500/1) b/c i got it for $100 off some guy who bought a car with it and didn't want it. Same thing as the alpine....nothings happening with the amp. Think I'm going to have to order a 4-pin speaker level harness for the alpine amp cause I can't figure out this LOC. Probly will just sell the JL Audio 500/1 for a profit since it doesn't have speaker level inputs. Boy does that amp feel like quality though! Weighs a ton and feels high quality

Any ideas whats going on here?

LOC has 5 wires going into it. 4(1 for each speaker's + , -) and 1 for an optional ground

Then on the other side of the LOC it has 2 RCA's with a ground wire inbetween. A blue wire for remote, yellow for 12v, and black/blue for chassis ground.

I couldn't get the LOC to power the amp on so I just used a seperate speaker wire and ran it to my bose amp 12v remote. Now I've just got the blue wire and yellow wire hanging there and all the grounds grounded

Oh your a sneaky lil f*****, two threads... so confusing...

haha yea. Was going just leave it in one, but didn't know this forum doesn't have near as much traffic as some others. Wish you could edit the title

haha yea. Was going just leave it in one, but didn't know this forum doesn't have near as much traffic as some others. Wish you could edit the title

I know I can edit my thread titles if I use the "Advanced editing instead of quick edit" but not sure if it's a privileged thing when you have over xxx posts :ughdunno:

what the heck is going on?

so the amp works? but does the amp have an output?

how do you know the amp works? Do you HAVE A DMM?

if you have a DMM plug it into the speaker outputs on the amp and put the dmm into VAC (volts A/C) and see if the amp is outputting any thing.

also hook up an MP3 play to the inputs of the amp to make sure your sub isn't dead.

now what LOC do you have? please take a pic or send a link! also how is the remote wired on the amp?

I suggest you just run a wire from your battery to a switch then to the remote of the amp that way your amp will turn on when the switch is closed.!. that way you can avoid the remote on the LOC since you can't figure it out?

and yes this forum does have a lot of traffic you just have to ask the right question and do the trouble shotting. and put a little more effort into things! rather then saying I have issue help me lol provide as much info as you can and also answer questions which are first asked

well figured it out. Amp is powering on just fine now. Problem is i can't get the LOC to send RCA signals like it should. I got the sub working using the ipod connected to an rca output. Dunno what I'm going to do about this loc....maybe its broke! I've hooked it up every which way