ANeonRider

A little riddle

i understand the tires don't accelerate, but i'm saying is the plane actually moving in relation to say...the flight tower.  If they were to watch the plane on the radar would it be stationary or moving? because stationary, no matter what else is happening, it can't take off unless there is air moving under the wing, i mean if this wasn't true, don't you think aircraft carriers would use this instead of the huge counterweight slingshot they use now?

They plane is stationary compared to a spectator/radar/flight tower/etc

Nope, the plane is moving, and everyone would see it doing so, at the same rate as it would without the conveyor. Read the link Dennis :)

The conveyor would not increase or decrease the length of runway needed.

I think we're just confusing our definitions of "move". On the radar, the plane is currently not moving, but as soon as it lifts off, then it is moving on radar. That's what I'm saying.

scott, I'm stealing (and rehosting) that pic to slather it all over the internet.... alright?

I think we're just confusing our definitions of "move". On the radar, the plane is currently not moving, but as soon as it lifts off, then it is moving on radar. That's what I'm saying.

There is Ground Radar systems as well...

Cops use radar to catch you speeding. The plane is indeed moving in respect to ground, it has to, it will not create lift if it doesn't.

There is Ground Radar systems as well...

Cops use radar to catch you speeding. The plane is indeed moving in respect to ground, it has to, it will not create lift if it doesn't.

thats exactly what i'm saying, but i'm done, this is taking time away from my beautiful friggin calc