Sign in to follow this  
Babbar Khalsa

Beginner need help

Hey everyone i am new to car audio and am planning on doing something big. Well first I was planning on getting a 250 amp alt with 2 yellow top batteries supplying power to 2 audio q 2200 amps connected to 2 12 fi btls . My question is that is there anything i need to be worried about? Because i was wondering if different parts of my car for example the dash lights or head light are being supplied with excess power? Is there some sort of regulater that controls the flow of current to the different appliances and delivers what is needed?

THANKS! your help is highly appreciated

no sir. everything will be fine. the real part you have to look out for is fluctuations in voltage. higher voltage can fry equipment, as can lower voltage. as long as this is a normal 12v charging system, and will charge anywhere from 14-15.2 volts, everything should be fine.

for reassurance, just talk to the company that is building your alternator so you can understand better.

Depending on the type of vehicle you have, 12v system can actually be as low as 13.2v and still be normal due to the way the regulator is tied into the computer.

My buddies honda can shift from 13.6v to the high 14s back to battery rest because it's how the regulator is programmed.

At one time, the alternator was somehow bypassed and stayed at a solid 14.7v but caused massive stuttering in the engine and would literally drop to almost 0 rpm causing a stall..

Since he couldn't drive like that, it was rebuilt so it had to work with the regulator.

Point is.. your alternator company should know what your expected voltage will be.

no sir. everything will be fine. the real part you have to look out for is fluctuations in voltage. higher voltage can fry equipment, as can lower voltage. as long as this is a normal 12v charging system, and will charge anywhere from 14-15.2 volts, everything should be fine.

The alternator has a 14.4 output voltage

for reassurance, just talk to the company that is building your alternator so you can understand better.

Depending on the type of vehicle you have, 12v system can actually be as low as 13.2v and still be normal due to the way the regulator is tied into the computer.

My buddies honda can shift from 13.6v to the high 14s back to battery rest because it's how the regulator is programmed.

At one time, the alternator was somehow bypassed and stayed at a solid 14.7v but caused massive stuttering in the engine and would literally drop to almost 0 rpm causing a stall..

Since he couldn't drive like that, it was rebuilt so it had to work with the regulator.

Point is.. your alternator company should know what your expected voltage will be.

Gotcha. Thanks Bro. And is the transfer from the regulator to the computer through the wiring harness connected to the alternator just wondering?

shouldn't have any problems

Sign in to follow this