Sign in to follow this  
bakedboy08@yahoo.com

thoughts on AQ2200d

so i just sold me Rockford t1000 and am debating on getting a aq2200 for my bl fully loaded wired to 2 ohms. So what i was asking was what is everyones thoughts on aq amps. are they pretty underrated and will it draw more power then my rf amp did, do they get hot at all or has anyone had anything bad to say about them. Everyones advise is greatly appreciated :)

try and get an Alpine PDX.1000

You will thank me later :)

any reason behind this? i like the idea of the aq2200 because if i ever wanted to get the btl all id have to do is get the d2 and wire it to 1ohm and keep same amp

not only is the PDX.1000 just as powerful as an aq2200d when wired to it's lowest recommended load-

Alpine = 2ohm \ AQ = 1ohm

But even after a doubling of impedance, the alpine will continue to put out the same power whereas, like most amps, will lose about 50% of it's power.

There was even a user on here that was telling me a while back about what i'm suggesting to you saying he did the same exact thing i'm tellin u now.

He went from an AQ2200d to an Alpine PDX.1000 and it got a lot louder..

I wasn't surprised because i know what one should expect from that amp.

AQ has diesel amps... robust is a good word. It's a Ubuy board like Arc and Soundstream; one of the best. RF makes great amps too, but RF isn't a zenon. If you want a zenon board amp go for Sundown, Crescendo, SoundDigital, Atomic, DD, or Formula X.

I've been emailing Formula X about their 7k zenon based amplifier for a month with no reply. Also Crescendo's 3k isn't available right now. And since the other companies that utilize a zenon board are effin expensive, AQ might be ur best bet.

are you giving advice for the best amp in the power range or for his application?

An Alpine PDX.1000 @2ohm will be WAY louder than an AQ2200d at 2ohm...

Plug, when he gets a BTL, he can get a Dual 1ohm BTL and still be just as good.

It's not hard to realize this as the PDX does 1000w at 2 and 4ohm...

Unless one wires the AQ2200d at 0.5ohm which is stupid for daily, the alpine is better because it works for both applications, not just this one.

And also.. Crescendo doesn't use Zenon and Sundown 4500 isn't Zenon based either. I can't speak of the other brands..

but if he decides to get a btl he will be able to wire it to 1 ohm to push 2200 watts

i dont see why the alpine would be better?

If money wasn't an issue I would recommend a jl 1000/1v2 as its rated 1000 watts from 1.33 to 4 ohms and its superb efficiency, or a sundown sax1200 for its overall perfect design/ sound reproduction.

For a less expensive option the alpine is especially nice due to its size and processing. Looks cool too.

For the best value, the AQ dollar for dollar. Ugly, but rugged.

I'm not arguing about anything, just trying to put extra options on the table for him. I'm glad you had such good luck with the alpine and look to recommend it.

And also.. Crescendo doesn't use Zenon and Sundown 4500 isn't Zenon based either. I can't speak of the other brands..

Lol yes crescendo does, and yes the 4500 is. Why would a company hire a circuitry company to make all their boards but one?

but if he decides to get a btl he will be able to wire it to 1 ohm to push 2200 watts

i dont see why the alpine would be better?

Strictly from a 1k watt perspective he had a point with the alpine. Buy if a BtL is in the mix that alpine would be toast. AQ 2000 watts is no joke however.

well the thing is with the alpine its not going to do 2200 watts like the aq would do its a 1000 watt amp, seems like that would be the bottom option because the aq puts out 1200 at 2ohms, i know the pdx amps are good because i have the alpine pdx 4 channel and its great but for what im wanting to do and looking into the future the aq seems to be the best option but what i was asking was is it a decent riliable amp that will last me and is it good clean power? I know my rockford amp got very hot after playing for a lil while and iv heard people saying theve ran there aq amps for hours and never even gets warm, is this true?

sorry but Crescendo uses S&I, just like DC soundlab and the 4500 is built by another buildhouse too.. but not zenon like the others.

And why would jake do that? i do not know.. ask him.

I'm not saying the AQ is ugly or anything but if he gets a btl and wired at 1ohm to an aq2200d.. he won't ever see anywhere near 2200w...

that's why i am recommending the alpine because it's only like $40-50 more than the AQ and realistic power output will be\should be equal to the aq2200d, but the alpine will do far better also for his current setup vs wiring an aq2200 at 2ohm.

how will the alpine do more then the aq when the alpine only does 1200 watts at 2-4ohms? the aq does 2200 at 1ohm and they are pretty underrated from what pro-rabbit says that works at aq, he stays on the car audio forum build boxes for them, but the alpine doesnt do any more then 1200 i just looked it up on the site

well the thing is with the alpine its not going to do 2200 watts like the aq would do its a 1000 watt amp, seems like that would be the bottom option because the aq puts out 1200 at 2ohms,

This statement shows to me u do not understand what i am basing my decision on..

I can go into great detail as to how my current build i'm doing can run over 5kw of actual power to a single XL(rated at 1500wrms) for 30sec averages and run COOLER than a 2,400w amp @1ohm... but this topic isn't about that..

sorry but Crescendo uses S&I, just like DC soundlab and the 4500 is built by another buildhouse too.. but not zenon like the others.

And why would jake do that? i do not know.. ask him.

I'm not saying the AQ is ugly or anything but if he gets a btl and wired at 1ohm to an aq2200d.. he won't ever see anywhere near 2200w...

that's why i am recommending the alpine because it's only like $40-50 more than the AQ and realistic power output will be\should be equal to the aq2200d, but the alpine will do far better also for his current setup vs wiring an aq2200 at 2ohm.

AQs are overated?

whats a more realistic output then because i have an aq1200 wired to 1ohm and i like to see all 1200 watts lol

no, they are not, and they are not underrated either.

I'm talking about REAL power.

If you actually think wiring to 1ohm u will peak at 1ohm, u are sadly mistaken.

There is a reason why to look at all advertised ohm loads on an amp when trying to see which one seems to be the one that puts out the most power for the money...

For the OP's question, i have already stated this-

The alpine will be my choise as it will be louder in current installation and be on par(According to specs) on the btl install.

A user i've talked to in the past said his apline was louder than the aq on a direct swap.. but that's hearsay.

Why would alpine be louder than AQ on current setup?

Alpine does 1000w @2ohm AND @4ohm.

AQ does 1200w @2ohm and 510w @4ohm

It's typical that during playback, impedance curve may only peak at 2x the dcr value of the sub... maybe even higher., but usually rarely lower.

So when the impedance curve is factored, the alpine will be twice as loud as the AQ is on current install and on par with BTL install.

ok i understand now

impedance changes with frequency, frequency is constantly changing, thus constantly changing impeding

is this correct?

yes.

while i would typically say it would be inaudible.. in this case, it wouldnt.

the Alpine is twice the output power if used vs aq2200d in current installation.

For btl installation, doubling of impedance would result in AQ being 200w louder, which is completely inaudible.

seems like switching my aq1200 for the alpine would benefit me as well lol

yea but a btl is rated at 2kw and the alpine puts out max rms of 1000 watts, there would leave me know room to upgrade subs in the future thus with the aq i can go from 1200 to 2200

shizzzon is saying that the alpine would be just as loud as the aq2200 running the btl due to impedance rise

i see the amp u sold also pumps the same power at 1ohm and 2ohm, maybe just get the 1500

Edited by trod2902

so you guys are saying that alpine and rockford amps are better then the aq but yet i see sooo many people ordering up these aq amps and say they are amazing and never overheat and are pretty underrated.

i have an aq1200 running one fi ssd10 and i get alot of complements on how clean it is and how loud it is for one 10, so i love mine but i can see how having an amp that runs the same power at different impedance loads would be beneficial

also my aq1200 was only $250, thats a hell of a deal for the quality

i dont have the knowledge to fully answer that question though

so you guys are saying that alpine and rockford amps are better then the aq but yet i see sooo many people ordering up these aq amps and say they are amazing and never overheat and are pretty underrated.

Who out of all those people actually have the equipment to measure an amps output capability, nobody. Putting an amp in a system and seeing how it performs doesnt tell you if it is underrated or overrated. As long as an amp puts out and makes a system sound optimal to the person's goals then yes they will say it is underrated. Not saying whether Audioque amps are or arent underrated, just wanted you to understand the difference between fact and fiction.

Sign in to follow this