Derek_K

is a bigger box worse?

the diamond audio d3 12's i'm getting are asking for 2 cubes in a ported enclosure.... well I have some extra room and I made up some plans for a box that's 3 cubes and ported at 34 htz..... is going bigger than the recommended volume actually worse? same thing for the tuning freq..... i don't know what they're SUPPOSED to be tuned at, but i think their response is 25-250... so i thought 34 would be low enough to make 'em pound... what do you think?

the diamond audio d3 12's i'm getting are asking for 2 cubes in a ported enclosure.... well I have some extra room and I made up some plans for a box that's 3 cubes and ported at 34 htz..... is going bigger than the recommended volume actually worse? same thing for the tuning freq..... i don't know what they're SUPPOSED to be tuned at, but i think their response is 25-250... so i thought 34 would be low enough to make 'em pound... what do you think?

well... if it asks for 2 cubes, i would go with 2 cubes. port it to 34 hz for a good mix of loudness and musicality

34hz is generally a nice figure for in car... but tuning freq is a matter of taste. If You dunno, go with the manufacturer recomendation.

As far as enclosure, going to a larger enclosure raise efficiency of the loudspeaker. Nothing wrong with that either. Just don't go TOO large. If (2) 12's are asking for 2.0ft net, I'd comfortably go to 3.0ft net. It also generally helps low end extension.

-Nick

right. well, i've read that the diamond audio's are geared more toward sq, so i'd like to get as much spl as possible.... so would it be better to port them a little higher?

bigger box will require more power

Less power. Efficieny increases and cone control decreases. You have a greater chance of reaching mechanical limits of the driver in the larger enclosure.

Less power. Efficieny increases and cone control decreases. You have a greater chance of reaching mechanical limits of the driver in the larger enclosure.

Correct. I understand that, but is 24 htz a good tune to port the subs at? or will i gain more sound out of a higher tuned box?

For HT use, sure...

In a vehicle, the cabin's transfer function will net you enough gain in the bottom octave that it's really not worth tuning that low.

You'll get more output out of a higher tuned enclosure, but at the cost of SQ...

edit my bad :Doh: wasnt thinking to straight, but there will be an increase in group delay with a bigger box

daamn, i figured that.... i just wanted better low-end... but i guess i would have gotten that just because i was switching from a car to a truck... so about 40 would give a lot more spl than a box tuned to 34 huuh... well it's not bad i can just build another one later on and decide which one i like better.... so u think i'd get better output from a box @ 3 cubes tuned to 40?