Sign in to follow this  
Dano 00TA

Which of these 2 amps should I use

I'm installing a Kicker tc104 sub in my trans am and have a choice from 2 amps, either a old school Autotek 7100bts or a Kicker ZX400.1 I just picked up. Which one would you prefer to use? I'm not trying to blow the windows out or anything, just trying to get some better sounds over the stock setup. Thanks for any input you may have.

I don't know much about that autotek. From what I can tell it seems that you have both, so if it were me I'd throw em both in and see which one sounds better.

The Kicker is a Mono block stable to 2 ohms and the Autotek is a 2 channel and stable to 4 ohms when bridged to mono. I would recommend checking the DCR of the woofer(s) with a DMM to see what the amp would be seeing.

He needs power at 4 ohms but not very much of it as this sub is only rated at 150 rms I think. I would run the kicker amp, it would match and is probably an all around better amplifier.

I installed the Kicker with some Kenwood component for the front/rear and it sounds excellent. Hard to believe how good one 10" sub can actually sound compared to the factory 6.5dvc subs. Another quick question would be what crossover should this sub be set at? 50/80? Also I assume both the headunit and amp should be set to the same frequency. I have some experience at setting up amps but not like you guys do! I highly appreciate any/all help you give.

Are kicker amps usually underrated? It's supposedly a 400 watt amp but has a birth sheet that states it put out 472 :WTFBubble:

Edited by Dano 00TA

The crossover is all personal preference, some use it to help join the door speakers and sub together and peopl, like myself, use it to eliminate the upper bass to get clearer sounding bass. 80 is a good starting point. And to answer your other question, yes kicker amps are underrated!:)