srd150

Think "Chose Poorly"... ALt troubles

Looked around for a bit and decided to go with this dual rectifier alt from alternatorparts.com . I ran it via specs of their website ( BTW i got the Quicktifier210 with a 220 amp denso alt). Guy told me it would do full output at 1200rpm( 120 i think at Idle). I upgraded the big three and ran it all with 1/0 Knu Koncept Kolossus wire. I am not running much, Double din JVC HU and a lightning audio 600.2 on a single W0 10. Gain is set to half. Optima Red top batt. My ordeal is, that the moment I put it in gear everything dims. And, if i have a few things on ( IE. air, turn sigs, headlights) things seem to get a bit worse. I took the gauge cluster out and cleaned everything up and took the main harness off the fire wall and cleaned all that too. It did help. I really do not think i have too much to cause that much of an issue. Checked the voltage with the DVOM and voltage drop is going from 14.25 to 13.8 when put into gear with ebrake on. Everything glows bright an works fine when i am running down the road. When i stop turn sigs look like they are worn out and slow to a creep. i'm going to add new batts and such in the future as the rest of my stuff rolls in for the new build. I just dont know what else to look at.

BTW this is a 91 dodge ramcharger.

Edited by srd150

fix ur car id say or get a smaller pulley.

if ur rpms drop that much sounds like a engine problem(vacuum leak)

The pulley I have is slightly bigger than the one it came with. But , its a lot smaller than my original pulley and I used that for a bit. I'll look for the vac leak (quite possible on those things, they have a ton of vac lines). I had to get a different pulley. I have v_belts and it came with a serpentine. I called the vendor for my alt. Alt is making a slight.whine at the unit itself. Hopefully he call me back.

well if it only does it when in gear i dont think its the alt...

what r the rpms at idle and in drive?

Not sure exactly what it idles at . Somewhere around 800 I believe. I did have to raise it to compensate for my old pulley being kinda large . I am going to adjust the idle up a bit cause I bet I set it too low. I always overlook the simple stuff.

Well, idle speed is up. But man it seems like it fast in park. Still not thrilled though. With lights on in gear it is dropping from 14.38 to 13. Anyone know who I could get a pulley and a new nut for it?running a castle nut right now. Old one stripped out.