Sign in to follow this  
One Kool Cat

Magnet Diameter of FI Q10?

Hello all,

Havent been on the forums for a while but Im doing a new build and need some recommendations.

I was thinking of purchasing 2 Q10" subs and installing them in .8cu ft enclosures. These enclosures are Subthump stealth boxes that fit behind the wheel wells of a 2010 Camaro. I have a few questions.

1) Whats the diameter of the magnet on the 10" Q? The max magnet diameter of this box design is 6.75". Will it fit? And do any of the build options change the magnet size? (cooling option. pchamfer, etc.)

2) The specs on Fi's website recommend .2-.5 cuft after displacement with the high qts option. The boxes I'm looking at are .8cuft. I see people on the forum talking about much larger sealed boxes. 1.0-1.5 cuft (maybe these were the older Q's without high Qts)? Basically I want to make sure the enclosures Im looking at are going to do the subs justice? There's no point in spending $600 on subs and not putting them in recommended enclosures.

My other option is to run 1 12" in a sealed enclosure that's 1.2 cuft which falls right between Fi's recommended enclosure sizes. But im afraid 1 12" may not be enough.

I had 1 10" Re Se in the back of my old Camaro which was a hatchback and I was happy with the sound. But with the new car subs are now in the trunk so that's why Im questioning if 1 12" sealed is enough.

I will be using a Sundown Saz-1500d to power whatever I decide.

What do you guys think?

im pretty sure the magnet on the Q stays the same size regardless of options and Im sure its pretty big. other than that my advice is document this build for us.. i was considering a newer camaro a while back.. infact i still am. Just curious to see builds for them.. so take pics :)

Magnets are about 8.7" in diameter, but the motor tapers down to about 4.25" at the very back. Magnet size (OD) stays the same with all options. Larger enclosures will increase the low end response, decrease the tightness, and decrease the mechanical power handling/durability.

We recommend smaller sealed enclosures and adding polyfill to reduce the QTC.

Thanks,

Scott

Magnets are about 8.7" in diameter, but the motor tapers down to about 4.25" at the very back. Magnet size (OD) stays the same with all options. Larger enclosures will increase the low end response, decrease the tightness, and decrease the mechanical power handling/durability.

We recommend smaller sealed enclosures and adding polyfill to reduce the QTC.

Thanks,

Scott

Hey Scott,

Im finally in the process of my build and I was wondering what you recommend for polyfill. I ended up getting 1 12" Q with high qts option. The box Im installing it in is 1.2 cu ft. From what Ive been reading I should stuff it with 1 - 1.25 lbsof fill per cu ft of volume. So 1.2 cu ft box, sub displaces .16, internal volume 1.04. I was thinking 1.25 lbs of fill should be good.

Thank in advance,

Mike

General rule of thumb is a pound per cube.

Sign in to follow this