SMpaintball78

place to have my alternator re-done?

hello, i was wondering if anyone knows a place where i can have a alternator re-builtfor a good price? its off my 1995 4.0 ford ranger (stock 95amps) im running a MTX 1501D (birthsheet says 1844 watts)amp and 1 12" orion hcca (2000rms/4000peak). the alternator is in perfect working condition right now, but its not enough for my amp. its starving for more power lol any helpp is appreciated! :drink40:

that's not what you want. get a real high output alt.

I think you would be better off buying a new HO alternator. From what I've seen most rebuilds have very low output at idle

Both of these guys are correct. If money for a true HO alt is a problem you might be able to find a larger factory alt out of a Lincoln or a bigger truck that may mount up without much modification. Such as with the 4.3 vortecs an AD244 will direct bolt into the location for the stock CS130 and factory harness plugs right in the only thing needed is a slightly longer belt.

Both of these guys are correct. If money for a true HO alt is a problem you might be able to find a larger factory alt out of a Lincoln or a bigger truck that may mount up without much modification. Such as with the 4.3 vortecs an AD244 will direct bolt into the location for the stock CS130 and factory harness plugs right in the only thing needed is a slightly longer belt.

i actually thought of that befor. i was selling a 2001 ford expodition with a bad tranny in it and i got to looking at its alternator and it had the same bolt pattern as mine. i though about switching the alternators but was affraid my rangers alt. wouldnt be enough for the 5.4L v8

Edited by Lantz

It's not that it would or wouldn't be enough for the engine, as the engine itself and the electronics that support it don't really require that much power, but if it could keep up with all the accessory items. Most likely it would be, but that's not an issue if you already got it sold.

What you do know is it looks like you have exactly the information you need to look into getting a larger stock style alt. You could get one from the same kind of truck in a salvage yard for a little bit of nothing in comparison to a full out HO alt. I know little about the intricacies of Ford's, so you may have to change the plug for the alternator, the belt, or may run into some small fitment issues.

Another option that I've seen done is mounting a second big factory alt like that one and wiring it up only to the audio equipment.

It's not that it would or wouldn't be enough for the engine, as the engine itself and the electronics that support it don't really require that much power, but if it could keep up with all the accessory items. Most likely it would be, but that's not an issue if you already got it sold.

What you do know is it looks like you have exactly the information you need to look into getting a larger stock style alt. You could get one from the same kind of truck in a salvage yard for a little bit of nothing in comparison to a full out HO alt. I know little about the intricacies of Ford's, so you may have to change the plug for the alternator, the belt, or may run into some small fitment issues.

Another option that I've seen done is mounting a second big factory alt like that one and wiring it up only to the audio equipment.

ya i was thinking about that as well. but i dont know if there is any room for another alt. to be installed. plue id have to custom fabricate brackets and... idk if it worth all that lol. id be better off just buying a HO alt. i did call around my local area electric shops, and i found a shop that builds alt.'s and for $250 i can get a 200amp HO alt. with a 3 year warrenty. what u all think about that?

ya i was thinking about that as well. but i dont know if there is any room for another alt. to be installed. plue id have to custom fabricate brackets and... idk if it worth all that lol. id be better off just buying a HO alt. i did call around my local area electric shops, and i found a shop that builds alt.'s and for $250 i can get a 200amp HO alt. with a 3 year warrenty. what u all think about that?

It's hard to say if its just a local shop. Without any reviews or feedback I would personally be wary. I would be much more comfortable getting one from a trusted company online.

I think matt from mechman rebuilds alternators. I'm trying to reach him to see if he can make me a custom alternator

It's hard to say if its just a local shop. Without any reviews or feedback I would personally be wary. I would be much more comfortable getting one from a trusted company online.

ya i see what u mean. iv heard like 2 different systems around where i live that have there alt.'s in them and there volt meter doesnt budge even at full power lol. and even if something does happen to my alt. it has a 3 year warrenty.