I have a '97 Grand Prix with a 220amp alt. and a 1.5v booster on it. I have a SAZ3500D BNIB, and will be picking up my 15" SMD in a week. I already ran the big 3 with 0 gauge and 2 runs of pos. & neg. to the back. Now I am looking at atlernators, should I get a 300+ alternator or can I run another 220amp alt. ? I can get another stock rebuilt to 220amps for about $200 and I know a couple welders that want to build a dual bracket, they are hard to find for a 3.8 V6, as are 300amp alts.. If I do get a 300a alt can I get by with just that one? And what are some suggested batteries for each setup? THANK YALL FOR YOU INPUT!

I did try to search for my answer...

Edited by grandprixpunch

Rewound alts usually don't put crap at idle, on top of they are unreliable. Now, if yours is say a Mechman or DC alt, 220A will be fine with 2 XS D3100s or 2 similar group 31 batteries (except not much is comparable to XS performance.)

Would 1 MECHMAN 220 do?

Edited by grandprixpunch

Should do !

Lika Allen told you : some XS 3100 in the back.

So a Mechman, DC or a good alternator company 220a will do?!?! I was looking at other companies likeExcessive Amperage

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001481548016

Any other good alt companies that aren't so pricey?

Most def on the 3100's, two, maybe three.

Maybe I'll experiment with the stock 220a for the car's eletrical on a custom bracket later...

Id get a dc or mechman and a few batts and you should be good.

I wouldn't get anything from Excessive amperage, I've read a lot of horror stories about their alternators.

My dc power alt has been great.

you have some good gear, idle output is important so look into both mechman and DC and compare idle output as well as total output then stare at the price which might or might not be important.

I would get a xspower D3100 in the trunk and see how well your voltage holds up. I think you will be fine like that but if not you can always add another battery.

Congrats on that SMD :fing34:

thanks for the heads up on Exccesive, and all the advice! And I guess trying to save a couple hundred on an alt is not worth frying my amp! I was planning on getting another SAZ3500D eventually, but to strap it on the SMD !!! Thanks for the ups on the SMD, Grand Prix build log coming soon...

Edited by grandprixpunch

Got a 270a unit for your car, 165@ 700rpm, 270a@ 1700rpm. All of our good stuff inside.

$449 + shipping, two-year warranty and we are quick to respond to your calls or emails.

Add our voltage adjuster for $49 with alternator purchase.

Shipping $25 or less in the 48 states.

Email me- eric@mechman for more info or to order.

Edited by MECHMAN

Whats a voltage adjuster ? How much for paint

Got a 270a unit for your car, 165@ 700rpm, 270a@ 1700rpm. All of our good stuff inside.

$449 + shipping, two-year warranty and we are quick to respond to your calls or emails.

Add our voltage adjuster for $49 with alternator purchase.

Shipping $25 or less in the 48 states.

Email me- eric@mechman for more info or to order.

Might get a mechman later this year