Sign in to follow this  
ShadowWolf9

Anyone that could actually help me with my install?

I've been sitting on the gear in my sig below for the past 3-4 months waiting on the box to arrive, which did about a week ago. I'm relatively new to the car audio scene. I know quite a bit, yet have little to zero hands on experience. My last sub was done by Best Buy just to shed a little light on my ignorance. I have a brand new car and don't want to be screwing things up, but it looks like I have to now.

I went to Sound Concept in Nanuet, NY to show off what equipment I had to be installed to the owner. He said he'd give me a quote, which I expected to be about $750 AT THE MOST. He then quotes me for around $1,300-$1,900 and it blew my freaking mind. As he tallied up labor hours in his e-mail I began doubting a lot of shit he had to say. It is below:

The sound deadening labor is about 1 hour per door and should take 2 sheets. Total of 4 hours

The 0 gauge power wire run with the mounting of the circuit breaker in the engine compartment. The ground loop up-grade between the negative battery terminal, engine and frame is 2 hours.

The speaker trim ring to house the Milli mid bass driver made out of MDF, cover in plastic resin and painted for the right and left front door is 3 hours.

The Milli cross-overs are too large to fit in the front doors and require the mounting in the trunk. Rewire speaker wiring for front doors is 1.5 hours.

The balance of sound deadening material would be applied to the trunk area, primarily around the wheel wells, upper deck lid and the trunk lid. I will assume there will be 6 to 8 sheets of material left over it averages out to about 30 minutes per sheet and includes disassembly and reassembly on the trunk.

The mounting of the amplifiers can be as simple as on a board in front of the subwoofer or we can build panels off to the side to give a better appearance. The basic board set up would be 2 hours and the build out would be 6 to 8 hours.

The total time for the installation would could be from 16 to 22 hours. Your could expect to pay to install your system from $1300 to $1900.

3 hours to make a speaker trim ring?! 2 hours for the big 3 upgrade?! To be honest, I haven't done any of these processes before, but some of them sound batshit insane.

I was wondering if there was anyone within around 4 hours from my location, 12590, that could aid my with my installation. Obviously I would compensate. I just can't afford dropping $2,000 pucking dollars on this and I don't have the courage to fuck up my car doing it myself. I have a month before I leave for college and need to get this crap installed.

(Before anyone says "well, then you're in over your head with the gear you got," I don't exactly have a $1,000 car to play around with and learn so this was my only route.)

Edited by ShadowWolf9

You could easily do this yourself with some help from us on the forum or you can wait for someone in your area to chime in. They are taxing you pretty bad at that shop but thats what happens when you have to pay for labor, they just round the hours up to charge more. Considering you arent buying there equipment is my guess for the high install cost.

You dont have a complicated setup to be honest with you, so installing it shouldnt be nowhere near $1300 or better. If you cant find anyone to do your car here on the forum try placing an add in craigslist for an installer or at least someone to make some rings for you, Im sure someone is looking to make some cash in this economy.

There hourly rate is a tad high. However the estimated time looks reasonable.

Rape don't tell him what you have tell him what you want done you get quoted more cuz you tell them what you have if it is expensive items they will rape you. The price he said 750 is about right tho...kinda

If you can run you own speaker wire, rca's, remote wire or attach your pioneer's wiring harness to your car's wiring harness it will save you some money if you cant or dont want to do the full install your self. As well as dampening your trunk, anything you can do that the shop doesnt have to do will help you in the long run.

If you can run you own speaker wire, rca's, remote wire or attach your pioneer's wiring harness to your car's wiring harness it will save you some money if you cant or dont want to do the full install your self. As well as dampening your trunk, anything you can do that the shop doesnt have to do will help you in the long run.

The pioneer is already installed from my previous installation and I still have 4awg wires running to the back from my previous sub that I wanted to re-purpose for the 2 channel amp.

You could easily do this yourself with some help from us on the forum or you can wait for someone in your area to chime in. They are taxing you pretty bad at that shop but thats what happens when you have to pay for labor, they just round the hours up to charge more. Considering you arent buying there equipment is my guess for the high install cost.

You dont have a complicated setup to be honest with you, so installing it shouldnt be nowhere near $1300 or better. If you cant find anyone to do your car here on the forum try placing an add in craigslist for an installer or at least someone to make some rings for you, Im sure someone is looking to make some cash in this economy.

If It comes to that I might have to do it myself... but I'd really rather avoid it if possible.

If It comes to that I might have to do it myself... but I'd really rather avoid it if possible.

Go to other shops and get price quotes from them as well, see if you have any friends/family members/co-workers who know something about car audio who wouldnt mind helping or doing it themselves.

This^^^ do everything you can to save some cash. Plenty of knowledgeable people on here that can help you along the way. Then if you need a few things done you can save yourself an arm and a leg.