Sign in to follow this  
SMpaintball78

whatt to dooo?!?

So you're saying your single 12 is louder than two 15's on the same power? Either your HCCA defies the laws of physics or something was off on the install. I'm not entirely sure what you're goals are. If you want more output or better low end extension first try to build a new box. If that doesn't work try new equipment.

i just paid $175 for this one :/ it sounds good and loud. but i know 2 15's will have a better low end and the initial hit of a beat will be harder. thats what im looking for.

For the LAST time thinking a fifteen will have better low end is not correct. The box will play a large part in how low the sub will play. Also if by "the initial hit of a beat will be harder" means louder, then yes two fifteens will be louder than one twelve if they are setup properly.

So you're saying your single 12 is louder than two 15's on the same power? Either your HCCA defies the laws of physics or something was off on the install. I'm not entirely sure what you're goals are. If you want more output or better low end extension first try to build a new box. If that doesn't work try new equipment.

i just paid $175 for this one :/ it sounds good and loud. but i know 2 15's will have a better low end and the initial hit of a beat will be harder. thats what im looking for.

^^^ thats all install dependent. What do you mean initial hit of a beat??? This is why earlier posts said you need to research more. You say you have experience but i dont believe you know enough to assess the issues youve had with these earlier set ups. I dont mean to bash you, im just trying to offer assistance, and i suggest you learn a little more about enclosure design because that is where you will gain your low end.

Sounds to me like your current box is peaky. I suspect the HCCA's are playing a role in this as well, but with good box design you can overcome that to an extent. What's the specs of your current box. It looks like it needs more port area from the picture in your avatar, but I can't say for sure just looking at the picture. A larger box tuned lower will help out on the low end. As many have stated you really should do a little more research in box design.

For the LAST time thinking a fifteen will have better low end is not correct. The box will play a large part in how low the sub will play. Also if by "the initial hit of a beat will be harder" means louder, then yes two fifteens will be louder than one twelve if they are setup properly.

Wellllll....as misinformed as he may be, when you learn from experience you discover things and make rules for yourself. Say you have a setup with a 12. Switch to a 15 (on the same amp/power) and 8 times out of 10 it'll be louder. The 15 will sound different, (due to more factors than it simply BEING a 15, diggity dur. Hell you can aim the box in a different direction and it will sound different.) so yeah the size does change the sound, mainly the output due to displacement, which is where he's getting the "better low end" from. The box is more important yeah, but a 12 in an optimal box will NEVER be as loud as a 15 in an optimal box off of the same power. Common sense.

To Lantz, get someone to design you a good box and build it. It might make a world of difference for minimal cost. Then when that isn't enough buy another and make a matching box. Forget the 15's, more power and cone will make you happy

Wellllll....as misinformed as he may be, when you learn from experience you discover things and make rules for yourself. Say you have a setup with a 12. Switch to a 15 (on the same amp/power) and 8 times out of 10 it'll be louder. The 15 will sound different, (due to more factors than it simply BEING a 15, diggity dur. Hell you can aim the box in a different direction and it will sound different.) so yeah the size does change the sound, mainly the output due to displacement, which is where he's getting the "better low end" from. The box is more important yeah, but a 12 in an optimal box will NEVER be as loud as a 15 in an optimal box off of the same power. Common sense.

To Lantz, get someone to design you a good box and build it. It might make a world of difference for minimal cost. Then when that isn't enough buy another and make a matching box. Forget the 15's, more power and cone will make you happy

i dont have the cash flow for another hcca, box and amp lol. if i could, id love to have another hcca 12 and amp but for right now, the money just isnt there. i can get $400 out of my hcca right now on my local craigslist. people around where i live love hcca's and mtx 9500's. so if i sold that, i would onlt need another $60 for 2 SA 15's but id have to build my own box which will probably be sealed. i built 2 ported boxes for my 9500's and they turned out great BUT i used mtx's specs and it had the mesurments for every side and port so all i had to do was cut out the wood. i dont see that for the SA's which is fine but i know very little about building a custom box.

Sounds to me like your current box is peaky. I suspect the HCCA's are playing a role in this as well, but with good box design you can overcome that to an extent. What's the specs of your current box. It looks like it needs more port area from the picture in your avatar, but I can't say for sure just looking at the picture. A larger box tuned lower will help out on the low end. As many have stated you really should do a little more research in box design.

the specs are...

30 1/2"L 17"tall 15" deep. and all walls are double thick mdf so each wall is 1.5" thich

I haven't read the thread so excuse me if I am repeating something but..

15's don't necessarily have the ability of digging deeper than 12's do. It's all in how you design the enclosure, where it is in the vehicle, what vehicle you are running, etc. If you are interested in lows I would do some Fi Q 15's or even just a single 18.

the specs are...

30 1/2"L 17"tall 15" deep. and all walls are double thick mdf so each wall is 1.5" thich

Need to know tuning too. There's also no reason to double up the walls. Just proper bracing and a double baffle. For future reference. Either way from what you're describing it's creating a peaky response. At least that's what I'm assuming when you say they don't "dig deep" or whatever.

the specs are...

Need to know tuning too. There's also no reason to double up the walls. Just proper bracing and a double baffle. For future reference. Either way from what you're describing it's creating a peaky response. At least that's what I'm assuming when you say they don't "dig deep" or whatever.

i mean it hits good and does get low. BUT i love the way 15's get low and my 12 just dont have it. i may try and copy the dimensions of this box but try doing a bigger port and lower tuning. he said it was tuned @38Hz

I haven't read the thread so excuse me if I am repeating something but..

15's don't necessarily have the ability of digging deeper than 12's do. It's all in how you design the enclosure, where it is in the vehicle, what vehicle you are running, etc. If you are interested in lows I would do some Fi Q 15's or even just a single 18.

i have a ford ext. cab ranger so there isnt too much room. i had a Fi BTL fully loaded 18 but the box it needed to sound right was too big for my truck. thats y im wanting 2 15's. iv been eyeballin the sundown SA 15's.... and i will only have around $450 to spend on 2 subs max.

Edited by Lantz

Your hcca would love a lower tuned box. 38 is high to hit the lows ! Try 30-32 Hz for your next box, and don't do it sealed : it will not fit your goals.

I'd choose the Fi ssd. Just my 2 cts.

Your hcca would love a lower tuned box. 38 is high to hit the lows ! Try 30-32 Hz for your next box, and don't do it sealed : it will not fit your goals.

I'd choose the Fi ssd. Just my 2 cts.

well i either try and build a new box for my hcca, or i just sell my hcca and get the 15's

38 is way too high, no wonder you're missing the lows.

38 is way too high, no wonder you're missing the lows.

im not missing them, there just not very strong. my sub sounds the best on the song 2 step remix. im not sure what Hx it is but its CRAZY loud and here is a vid. of what i want my box to look like with the 15's....