Sign in to follow this  
toyopl

Want to upgrade stock speakers only, recommendations ?

Hey guys, we recently purchased '11 Toyota Venza with stock stereo and I'm pretty dissapointed with the audio system in a $40k car, whether the stock or the upgraded JBL package system, real disapointment.

I want to upgrade the stock speakers only, as this is mainly my fiance's car to work and our family car for trips.

I already did my Scion last year with Sundown amps, ID speakers, knukonceptz, secondskin, I went from simple upgrade to $3k built

So one car is enough or I'm gonna get serious beating from my lady

Anyway I'm looking to upgrade the stock speakers, we listen to everything from techno to rock, I like warm sounds, no harsh sounding speakers, something laid back that can work well on factory unit.

Location Size Depth

Front Door Speaker 6X9 3

Front Dash Tweeter 1 1

Rear Door Speaker 6.5 3

Should I go for 2-way or 3-way, because recent post on Venza forums shown below confused me a little.

"I originally purchased Polk DB 6x9 3-way but the Venza's crossover only sends lower notes to the front door speakers so the tweeters in the 3 way are wasted"

I'm a little confused on what your factory lay out is for the front doors. Are there 3 6x9's in there? That doesn't seem right, but it seems to be what you're inferring. At any rate, it's a waste of money to buy any high end speakers if you're running them off head unit power. I'm not sure if your car has an external amp or not, knowing that might help. Another thing is that without sound deadening you won't get much out of whatever you decide to put in your doors so again without this I wouldn't spend much money on speakers. I don't think you will see much of an improvement by simply replacing the factory speakers honestly.

Edited by Luke.H

Well the speakers distort like crazy when you put it up higher, bass is horrible, just doesn't sound right.

I was thinking maybe $300 for all speakers.

The layout is

6x9s in front doors 3inch depth available

6x5's in back doors 3inch depth available

1inch in dash 1inch depth available

Here's how stocks look :P

both.jpg

backs.jpg

Well the speakers distort like crazy when you put it up higher, bass is horrible, just doesn't sound right.

I was thinking maybe $300 for all speakers.

The layout is

6x9s in front doors 3inch depth available

6x5's in back doors 3inch depth available

1inch in dash 1inch depth available

Here's how stocks look :P

both.jpg

backs.jpg

They look like shit lol

lol, don't they ? :P

The magnets are about a quarter size, Toyota really outdid themselves on this car :D

My 4runner was very similar. I replaced fronts and rears with 6.5" AA carbons and replaced the tweeters with Seas neos. I did not alter the factory crossover in any way and have not had any issues since the install was done 2 years ago.

You never said if the factory speakers are amplified. The distortion is most likely due to pushing the factory HU beyond its limits. I don't think new speakers would remedy this problem. You could buy a used 2 channel amp for fairly cheap and run a set of decent 6.5's up front and just leave the speakers in the back as rear fill. I'm not aware of any decent 6x9's so you would want to make or purchase an adapter to fit them in the front door. A baffle is a prerequisite for any install so you'd need something like that anyway.