Sign in to follow this  
Pezzaboi

Help with Ported box design

Hi ive been running my 15" Q in a 2.2 cubed box for over a year now with a SAZ-1000d mono amp, and its been awesome!

now making the boxes isnt a problem as i designed and built my last one!

but im looking for something different and maybe a bit louder without changing much and spending alot! so i thought ill port it!

i looked at the cut sheet in this section for the 15 ported in here

but its slightly too big at 3.8 cubes and was wondering if anyone could adjust it to maybe 3.2-3.4 cubes for me :/ being a complete noob with port sizes and stuff!

max height is about 17 1/2" really!

Thanks Pez! sorry for being a pain

http://www.reaudio.com/LPort_Box_Calc.php

This is the calculator I use to tune my boxes, and it's worked well so far. But I have heard from people it's off with the tuning sometimes. But type in these options, from top to bottom.

Box Width: 27"

Box Height: 17.5"

Box Top Depth: 17"

Box Bottom Depth: 17"

Wood Thickness: 0.75"

Square Port Width: 2.25"

Square Port Length 2: 12"

Good luck :D

Remember bracing and double baffle!

Edited by Freshh

Aeroports are your friend. ;)

I've never had a problem with it, but I've only built three boxes with it. Which do you prefer?

Ah cool, this has helped a lot! im sure it will be fine for what i need :) brace the "L" and double baffle i believe meaning two front sheets yes? :D

ill have a play with the sizes to suit my boot!

You're correct, double baffle means that the side that the subwoofer is mounted on is two layers thick.

I wouldn't trust the RE calculator

I have heard most say it tends to tune high.

Box Width: 35"

Box Height: 17"

Box Top Depth: 15"

Box Bottom Depth: 15"

Wood Thickness: 0.75"

Square Port Width: 2.5"

Square Port Length 2: 12"

I've come up with the solution atm, as i have measured my boot in more detail! as its a normal hatch back astra the rear seats are at an angle but this calc doesnt really account for this as it would be showing the port facing into the seat :/ hope you follow

anyone quickly run that through and see any problems?

Thanks a lot! pez

Looks good to me!

What're you going to put over the wood? Carpet/paint?

Ill carpet it to the best of my ability again lol! or might wait untill i re trim all my interior somewhere and ask a company to do it as i like things done properly or at least look it lol :)

ok mate so box should be fine? i can adjust its mainyl the depth ive got to work with, shame the depth one and depth 2 dont work the way i need them too!

Edited by Pezzaboi

I don't trust the RE calc either. When I figure out tuning for an enclosure I use winisd and compare it with the one on here, and it's 99.9% of the time within like 1/4" of eachother lol. If you use the calc on carstereo.com and you wanna do a slot port, keep slot port set to "no". For some reason it adds some random value to it, possibly for end correction, I don't know.

will some one with little experience be able to notice that much? im used to running my Q sealed and its amazing! ill keep that enclosure also in case!

but i know a lot of people on here are awesome and get really technical but i dont know how much of a difference that would really make :S ?

ill try another calc anyway :)

I don't trust the RE calc either. When I figure out tuning for an enclosure I use winisd and compare it with the one on here, and it's 99.9% of the time within like 1/4" of eachother lol. If you use the calc on carstereo.com and you wanna do a slot port, keep slot port set to "no". For some reason it adds some random value to it, possibly for end correction, I don't know.

thanks for that link... the port area minimum calculation is awesome...

Sign in to follow this