Sign in to follow this  
MikeMartel

Two Fi Q 15"

Well, it seems that i will be getting these subwoofers a bit quicker than i thought.. Haven't order them quite yet but i decided that getting a ported box design ready couldn't hurt.

Trunk Dimensions: Height = 19" (So i was thinking box should be around 17.5" maximum)

Width = 36" (Narrowest point near the back seats)

= 47" (More towards middle of trunk)

Depth = 36" (Need room for battery, amplifiers, ect.)

Now iv never dealt with Q's before so im not really sure what i should tune the port for.. It says anywhere from 28-33hz, now i listen to all types of music so i was thinking maybe in the middle? Like 30-31hz?

I kinda wanted to design the box on my own, but considering its my first ever build... ill take the help and not make everything sound terrible ^^..

Thanks for the help!

Edited by MikeMartel

That's a lot of volume available, plenty for a couple of 15's ported. The problem I see with the available measurements is that you won't be able to use a slot port enclousre IMO. The 15" subs will have use ~31.5" width side by side and you only have 34.5 width inside the enclosure. That leaves you with only 3" available for port width and at 17.5" enclosure height max (16" inside) that's only 48sqin of port area and just not enough for a pair of 15's to me. You'll likely need to look at using Aeroports or slide the subs to each side of the enclosure and use triangle shaped ports at the top and bottom between the subs, maybe.

Otherwise I like 32hz tuning on the Q's myself.

May be harder than i thought...

But Triangle Ports sound very interesting.. :)

If i could pull that off i think it could be pretty sweet..

Edited by MikeMartel

Well.. iv decided that 2 15"s may be a little to tight the way that my trunk is designed... Im going to stick with one 15" Fi Q for the time being, and later on when i have more experience ill try to fit another one in :D. Thanks for helping me out Alton.

That's a lot of volume available, plenty for a couple of 15's ported. The problem I see with the available measurements is that you won't be able to use a slot port enclousre IMO. The 15" subs will have use ~31.5" width side by side and you only have 34.5 width inside the enclosure. That leaves you with only 3" available for port width and at 17.5" enclosure height max (16" inside) that's only 48sqin of port area and just not enough for a pair of 15's to me. You'll likely need to look at using Aeroports or slide the subs to each side of the enclosure and use triangle shaped ports at the top and bottom between the subs, maybe.

Otherwise I like 32hz tuning on the Q's myself.

If he makes the box subs up port back...he can make the port along the bottom of the box so he really has alot of port area to work with.

yep i agree with orlando, if you do subs up port back using areoports then you can fit 2 15's easily, then you wont have to worry about box heighth and you can put alot more ports facing the trunk. id go for the 2 15's :)

2 12's will be louder.

By all means if you guys can help me out with 2 15's- go for it! i just cant figure a way to do it, Id love 2 15's ! Please help me out :D

Dimensions are up top, but its midnight here and my gf wants to go to bed, ill check up on my thread in the morning.

Box would kinda be on the smaller side but i think it would do fine. im running 2 15" Q's myself in a smaller box than recomended...did 148.1db. But 2 12's dosn't sound bad...

^^ and not saying you will pull high numbers even with a smaller box but just as an idea.

Box would kinda be on the smaller side but i think it would do fine. im running 2 15" Q's myself in a smaller box than recomended...did 148.1db. But 2 12's dosn't sound bad...

pics?

Orlando it says you have a 7.2 cubic foot box.. Thats within the specifications on Fi's website.. It says 2.8-4 cubic feet per subwoofer. Did you see how much cubes my setup would be if they were firing up?

Orlando it says you have a 7.2 cubic foot box.. Thats within the specifications on Fi's website.. It says 2.8-4 cubic feet per subwoofer. Did you see how much cubes my setup would be if they were firing up?

but that is before port displacment... Its really around 3 cubic feet net for both subs. And let me look more into your dimensions...

IMG_3359.jpg

IMG_7517.png

And subs just for the F... of it..

IMG_3201.jpg

pics?

Pics posted.

ok so for a box i got some dimensions ...

Width=35 inches (To give you some room to work with from the narrowest part of trunk)

Height=17.5 inches

Depth=25 inches (But you can add more if you want...)

Box Volume=7.289 Cubic ft Gross

Port Dimensions:

Width 33.5inches

Height=3 inches

Length= 30.38 inches

Tunning Frequency 31hz

Hope this helped a little.

And what kind of car do you have? trunk opening will factor in too...

i had subsam design me like a 8 cubic foot box for my trunk for an 18.... so idk why this is being so difficult.

Iv got a chevrolet impala

And TBH you can make it wider than that.. I really dont want to be putting both of them in there if i cant get the right box size.

Edited by MikeMartel

Ohh alright. 8 cubic feet will wourk out way better. And an 18 wouldnt be bad for an impala.

Well not that i really want an 18 Q.. im just saying thats about the same cubic feet that 2 15's would take.. Ill ask subsam whenever he gets online next

Edited by MikeMartel

Width=35 inches (To give you some room to work with from the narrowest part of trunk)

Height=17.5 inches

Port Dimensions:

Width 33.5inches

Height=3 inches

Length= 30.38 inches

Tunning Frequency 31hz

Do not use this box for 2 15" Q's. It is way to small, after port and sub displacement it will be 4.8ft^3 @ ~37hz.

Now this is a box subsam made for me when i thought i was all epic and wanted a 18" BTL N2..

Now with taking those measurements... would i be able to just adjust it a bit for 2 15's instead?

And yea i hear ya its too small

Height=17.5 inches

Port Dimensions:

Width 33.5inches

Height=3 inches

Length= 30.38 inches

Tunning Frequency 31hz

Do not use this box for 2 15" Q's. It is way to small, after port and sub displacement it will be 4.8ft^3 @ ~37hz.

Yea it is small but fitting a bigger box will be a little more difficult to fit through the trunk opening? Thats why i kinda went smaller & frgt to factor in port dicplacment (-_-) hehe