flakko

Ive got some port noise...

grrr.... polyfill no work :(

shine it eh. im just gonna mod it to be slotted.

thanks a lot mike!

Jeremy,

I pulled up a pic that Mike sent me when I bought my two drivers and that pole vent hole is larger than I remembered. It looks about 3/4" to 1". It is probably the air compressing against the back of the cabinet making the port noise?

Crazy, crazy thought, but maybe you could use a 1 1/4" hole saw and drill a hole directly behind that pole vent and insert a pvc tube flush or almost flush with the back of the driver to test it. You shouldn't hear the pole piece air displacement in the trunk. Then if it works, glue in the tube to the cabinet and cut it off flush. You won't have to expand your box anymore either. If it doesn't work, plug the hole because you won't see it anyway when the cabinet is installed. It shouldn't affect your cabinet's design performance and might save you a lot of work.

This idea is way out in left field, but this is DIY with one of it's many challenges and it might work! :ph34r:

Mike

lol why cant i just add some more baffle? im gonna have to fit an 8.5" tall sub anyways :P

that sounds too confusing hahaha thanks for the ideas. True DIYer right there.

True, you may be hearing the noise from the pole vent exhaust but damn, it must be close to the back wall if you are!

Even so, you are a little low on port area so I'd continue the plan of beefin' that up regardless.

Do a baffle or an extended ass - it all sounds good to me!

The big ass idea would also, as the other Mike pointed out, allow that rework to go largely unseen. :bigok:

How dare you smash my enclosure !

The enclosure i did for my friends SE 12 has the ports even closer than Flakko has his. The sub almost touches the ports. They fire out ward on the side as well. No port noise that i heard

How dare you smash my enclosure !

The enclosure i did for my friends SE 12 has the ports even closer than Flakko has his. The sub almost touches the ports. They fire out ward on the side as well. No port noise that i heard

Eldorado....the rear of his driver is up against the rear of the box. We're talking pole port air displacement, not cabinet porting.... :bigok:

I like the look of the long box like that

It seems strange to me that you only hear it out of one of the ports. Can you pop out the sub and restrict the air flow to the noisy port and see if it makes the other one noisy? If so, you need more port area for sure. If not, there must be something wrong with the port that is noisy. Might be easier to go all out and frank it, but I am having a hard time understanding how it can be one and not the other. Being they are both vented and should mostly be exposed to the same pressures you should hear it out of both. I would try and isolate the difference to see if I can make the quiet port the noisy one to confirm it is just flat out not enough area. Even though if the Mike's think you are short on port area, you probably are.

i believe i dont have enough port area.... im flat out of ideas. i gota interesting pic to show you guys tomorrow. great example of why NOT to lightly put polyfill in a ported box.

it turns out this reconstruction is going to be more immense than originally planned. im gonna have to smash out the right side, insert a slab of wood for the port, increase the depth by 2" for compensate for the port displacement and increase the baffle for the sub by 1" or so. I mine as well build a new box hehe.

Just don't cut any circles in it without Eldo

I dunno how he is gonna smash out the side when i put brads in it and glued it with titebond glue.

i wekend it when i made the holes for the port. maybe ill just jig it. im probably gonna haveta build a new box... too much modding isnt worth thte time :(