Sign in to follow this  
ZUaudio

KICKER 750.1 AND 600.1 on L7's PROBLEM???

Hello

I recently picked up two Kicker L7 12s (yesterday) and I need and additional amp to power both of them.

I have a kicker 750 installed from a previous system, But I don't have the money at the moment to but another 750.

So I found a deal on craigslist a guy selling 600.1 for 75 bucks. I made arrangements to meet with him tomorrow.

Will having tow different power amps cause an audio problem? I know its a funny question and probably stupid but I just didn't know.

Never tried it and didn't want to run into problems down the line.

The sub boxes that I built are separate so they don't share air.

Here is a picture of my trunk and one of the subs installed:

The sub is mounted towards the cabin of my car and the port fires at the rear of my trunk.

EYABM.jpg

Here is the second box:

The sub in this one will sit towards the rear of the trunk and the port also fires at the rear of my trunk.

j2QCj.jpg

The subs although they fire towards each other are off set so they wont counteract each other.

I dont think there will be a problem using two different power amps, but I have been wrong before.

Edited by ZUaudio

try to run them on the 750.1. You may loose power, but you have 2 subs (lot of cone area).

When you have the money for a second amp get one or sell the 750.1 and get a 1500-2000 w amp.

what impedance are they?

I guess if you matched all the settings from one amp to another then you'd be "okay", but personally I wouldn't do it. May find yourself with one driver moving more then the other.

I wouldn't suggest using two different size amps like that.

i wouldnt do it, and first if the two subs are in separate boxes, they need to be the same exact specifications or the subs wont act the same even if on the same amp/power. second, the first pic looks like where the sub is located with the port could cause loading issues. Third, do like what was said above, dont buy the amp, save up and get an amp that matches the coil config and puts out 1000-1500 watts rms.

what are the coil configs on the subs? (dual 2 or dual 4)

MY L7s are both dual 4 ohm voice coil versions. They are each individually wired in parallel @ two ohms.

I though most decent amps could handle this impedance. My thought process was that I would be able to use a DECENT amp running each one individually at 2 ohm, or eventually get a MONSTER and run them BOTH in parallel at 1 ohm.

Im not understanding why running two separate amps powering two separate subs would cause a problem.

BUT IM DUMB AND A NOOB so most things escape me. :P

I am DEFINITELY NOT saying you ALL are wrong, NOT RUNNING TWO SEPARATE AMPS is very clearly consensus, but could someone maybe explain the technicalities of why it would be counterproductive?

FINAL NOTE:

1) What are loading issues?

Chevy boy 95 said there may be problems with that.

Im assuming that means that there is not enough room from the mouth of the port to the wall of the trunck, which may act like additional port lenght and throw off the tuning?

If that is the case, then the boxes were designed to fit within this space and the distance from the mouth of the port to the trunk wall is fine, I designed it to fit and utilize the space.

2) What would be the problem if one driver moved more air than the other?

Arent there some setups that have two different drivers matched to two different amps and they function fine?

AGAIN NOT trying to prove you wrong, I just want to know why.

THAKNS GUYS :)