Sign in to follow this  
rmt99e

RL-P Box

I am planning on getting a soundsplinter rl-p 12in dvc 2ohm sub. I want to get a ported box but don't really want to make it myself. Does nayone know where i can buy one for a good price? Thanks dudes..

BTW, What kinda of box do you use with your sub? How does it sound?

Edited by rmt99e

im usin a 2 cubebox ported to 33 hz and it sounds AMAZING, except for the port noise. garr....

but 1-1.5 cube ish should be good for sealed

i dont trust prefabbed ported boxes.

im usin a 2 cubebox ported to 33 hz and it sounds AMAZING, except for the port noise. garr....

but 1-1.5 cube ish should be good for sealed

i dont trust prefabbed ported boxes.

well at a local sound store they have a 2.5cu ft dual ported box and a 1.25cu ported box, only thing is they are 160 & 120 dollars. I have a option to get a custom box but it will run me more than that. The bigger one has 34hz freq, im pretty sure the smaller one does. From what i know and seen this is perfect.

Im now just thinking i will go with the one at the store.. I like the 1.25cu because it is smaller and cheaper but i like the 2.5cu one because my amp will fit ontop if it, Its a biiig amp :D

what would you guys do

Edited by rmt99e

Neither of those enclosures is going to be optimal for the RL-p12. thumbdown.gif

I would either step up to an RL-p15 and run with the 2.5 cu ft, OR

.... save at least $70 and build your own to spec! thumbup.gif

I'm sure there's a few members who will draw up plans and cut-sheets tailored for your application at a low cost (~$10).

Also check out the [Competition & Fabrication forum]

Neither of those enclosures is going to be optimal for the RL-p12.  thumbdown.gif

I would either step up to an RL-p15 and run with the 2.5 cu ft, OR

.... save at least $70 and build your own to spec! thumbup.gif

I'm sure there's a few members who will draw up plans and cut-sheets tailored for your application at a low cost (~$10).

Also check out the [Competition & Fabrication forum]

What do you think would be optimal sealed for two RL-P 12s getting 800 watts a piece in an SQ application?

> optimal sealed for two RL-P 12s getting 800 watts a piece in an SQ application

I'd aim for about 1 cu ft net volume (+ ~0.2 cu ft driver displacement). If you are not concerned with the ultimate lows, you could go down to around 0.6 cu ft net volume for a very flat smooth response. Alternately, if you want to put a greater emphasis on the low end and overall output to boot, you might want to go up to 1.25 cu ft net volume. Always a tradeoff.

Mike, can I ask in context of this topic, do you prefer the RL-p in a larger sealed box, or a small ported?

just wondering, if someone could go very small ported and not loose space but still keep SQ and output

which one of these would work best

HS-12V

Single 12" Vented 1.4 cu ft 40 Hz 13 1/2" h X 18" d X 18" w

ZV112-1538

Single 12" Vented 1.5 cu ft 38 Hz 16" h X 18 1/4" d X 18 1/4" w

ZV112-2030

Single 12" Vented 2.0 cu ft 30 Hz 16" h X 22 1/4" d X 18 1/4" w

> in context of this topic, do you prefer the RL-p in a larger sealed box, or a small ported?

For optimal sound quality, I would opt for the larger sealed box over a smaller ported box. The small ported box would get a little peaky for my taste, unless the tuning was very low (but then the box wouldn't be that small anymore ;) ).

> which one of these would work best

I would definitely run with the ZV112-2030 (12", 2.0 cu ft vented @ 30 Hz). In fact, that's right on the money for the RL-p12 thumbup.gif

If you are anywhere near northern Idaho I'll build you a box for material cost plus $15 per hour for labor. I know what I'm doing and I don't screw people on labor.

Check out my post about the Kove armaggedons in a Wicked one, I charged my friend a total of $360 for that box including all materials and labor ($254). Try doing that box in a normal shop and they'll tell you to round up $750 then come talk to them. I never screw people on labor and I can get the box lineXed for a reasonable price (maybe $70) I overbuild all my boxes, double mounting rings, bracing, large ports etc.

later,

b

If you are interested in a boxes I've already built for my RLp12. I have a .58cu sealed box with about a 10 degree slant on the front wall carpeted, bracing, etc. ($45) And a 2 cu ft ported box tuned to 30hz I can't remember all the dimensions but let me know if you need em. ($70)

The problem with these is that shipping could be very expensive.

> in context of this topic, do you prefer the RL-p in a larger sealed box, or a small ported?

For optimal sound quality, I would opt for the larger sealed box over a smaller ported box.  The small ported box would get a little peaky for my taste, unless the tuning was very low (but then the box wouldn't be that small anymore ;) ).

> which one of these would work best

I would definitely run with the ZV112-2030 (12", 2.0 cu ft vented @ 30 Hz).  In fact, that's right on the money for the RL-p12 thumbup.gif