Sign in to follow this  
Tony Nelson

Looking for new system for my s10

I recently bought a 2000 s10 from my grandma. It was my grandpa's truck who passed away over a year ago. It has less then 40K miles on it and hadn't been driven more then 200 miles in the last 4 years.

Anyways, I've been thinking about a new system for it. I pictured in my head that it would be cool to build a shelving unit above the sub box in the back of the s10 (extended cab with 3rd door). Would include two open bins on either side of truck, with open space in between with metal rack to bungie to. Not sure if you can picture that but I think it would be useful.

I've narrowed it down to using woofers no bigger then 10", due to height. Currently I have a 12" xcon in my car it sounds awsome. It replaced a Death Row 12 and I could notice the differance in sound quality between the two. I want to go with a SQ oriented subwoofer, but not SQ install. Before the xcon was gifted to me, I almost purchased two Dayton RSS265HO woofers. I have heard them and they sound awsome. Real defined bass and dig pretty deep in small ported boxes. The Hivi SP10 subwoofer is another decent ten. It works in a very small ported box as well and is on sale for a decent price. I have considered the dcon aswell as the FI X sub.

Thought I would ask on here and get other opinions for some good SQ based 10" woofers that will work in relatively small ported boxes. I'm looking for at least 2 tens (to help with port length for small tuned boxes) but will also consider 3 tens. I do not really want to break $150 for each woofer, but other options will be considered. Again, this won't be a SQ install, but I like having SQ based drivers in the install. For power, I won't run more power then 1000 watts. Probably will be less even. All I'm looking for is a decently loud system that sounds good. I will build everything myself.

Fi Q comes to mind right away. If you truly want to save space I would just do one.

I really like the JL Audio 10W3v3.

A member on this forum was recently selling a pair for $150 plus shipping. I would have loved to have bought them but not in my budget right now.

Fi Q comes to mind right away. If you truly want to save space I would just do one.

I thought about the Q. It is a good driver just a little more then I want to spend on one driver, and I am looking for a little more output then one Q will give me. Saving space really isn't an issue, just height for the sub box is. The storage bins and shelving unit will span the width of the inside of truck. So the subwoofer box can too.

Jl w3 is a great choice. I have two sa-12s and 12" dcons laying around if you were interested. I know you said tens but I am just throwing them out there.

Jl w3 is a great choice. I have two sa-12s and 12" dcons laying around if you were interested. I know you said tens but I am just throwing them out there.

Thanks for the offer man!!! I will have to pass though as I really want to stick with drivers no bigger then 10's.

It sounds like a pair of Dcons would fit the bill pretty well, as would X's. Build the right enclosure and they should meet your goals perfectly.

I have heard good things about the dcons and the price is right that is for sure, but how would the SQ of them compare to the daytons? I know not to many people here have experience with the Dayton RS line, but maybe a few of you do. I know they sound great and get decently loud, but haven't ever heard the dcon line so I am unsure. The dcon is almost 3db more sensitive then the daytons so the extra power handling of the daytons doesn't matter much. I would like them to be able to play to at least 80hz, as I won't have anything special upfront.

As far as the FI X woofer goes, it is priced similiar to dcon with similiar specs. I had a black friday X woofer and it was decent but the SQ of it wasn't anything special when I swapped it out for my old boston G5. Not sure if the new line of X's are differant or not.