Dan208

Photo storage.

My wife has a ton of pics on her computer. It's been acting funny lately and I want to get them off there in case it ends up crashing. What type of storage should I be looking at: online or external hard drive? If online, what are some of the better sites? I do have Photobucket, but I just use it for pics of things I'm selling and stupid stuff (memes, etc).

Do you have fast internet?

Do you want to store them online as like a backup, or for actual viewing?

My wife has a ton of pics on her computer. It's been acting funny lately and I want to get them off there in case it ends up crashing. What type of storage should I be looking at: online or external hard drive? If online, what are some of the better sites? I do have Photobucket, but I just use it for pics of things I'm selling and stupid stuff (memes, etc).

Back them up on photobucket, and a thumb drive or external hard drive.

Do you have fast internet?

Do you want to store them online as like a backup, or for actual viewing?

It's decently fast. I mainly want it for backup/being able to access them when I want to. I'm also starting to dabble in photography as a hobby.

we bought an external at costco for like 90 bucks. works perfect in our application. dont want to lose the baby photos.

I use a program called Allways Sync and E-sata drives. Automatically helps keep track of anything you add and whatever you change and only copies those files. Same drive setup I use for archiving all 3000 cd's ripped onto my pc. I want NO part of re-ripping anything, sick of that shit. Way easier to manage multiple TB's of info that way. If you are starting to shoot, thumb/dvd/online will drive you nuts.

we bought an external at costco for like 90 bucks. works perfect in our application. dont want to lose the baby photos.

Exactly. We have LOTS of photos of our daughter, my brother's wedding, vacations, holidays, etc.

If you haven't been keeping a backup of them, then you are already a step behind. Go to your local Target and get this - http://www.target.com/p/WD-My-Passport-Hard-Drive-250GB/-/A-13698818 for $30. It's a start.

Download and install Microsoft SynchToy. It's the cheapest way to keep your working folder synched up with your backup. I run mine weekly. My backup drive is a 2nd SATA drive in my PC. I also keep a network drive that also has a backup of my important files. Finally, my wife keeps DVD copies at her office about 30 miles away. I have too much to use one of those online services like Carbonite. My long term goal is to set up a family member with a private FTP server and that will be my online backup. I'll do the same for him at my house.

I use a program called Allways Sync and E-sata drives. Automatically helps keep track of anything you add and whatever you change and only copies those files. Same drive setup I use for archiving all 3000 cd's ripped onto my pc. I want NO part of re-ripping anything, sick of that shit. Way easier to manage multiple TB's of info that way. If you are starting to shoot, thumb/dvd/online will drive you nuts.

Even managing 1TB is enough work even with the help of a program so this is true...

If you haven't been keeping a backup of them, then you are already a step behind. Go to your local Target and get this - http://www.target.com/p/WD-My-Passport-Hard-Drive-250GB/-/A-13698818 for $30. It's a start.

Download and install Microsoft SynchToy. It's the cheapest way to keep your working folder synched up with your backup. I run mine weekly. My backup drive is a 2nd SATA drive in my PC. I also keep a network drive that also has a backup of my important files. Finally, my wife keeps DVD copies at her office about 30 miles away. I have too much to use one of those online services like Carbonite. My long term goal is to set up a family member with a private FTP server and that will be my online backup. I'll do the same for him at my house.

Very smart man.... I only do manual backups myself and use a friends server for backup and I have a local external HDD as well as an internal SATA drive with my data I'd like to keep....

Thanks for the help. I'm going to stop and pick up an external hard drive after work tomorrow so I can at least get started.