Sign in to follow this  
kendall64

linking amps question???

if i have two of the same amps can i link them or are there only certain amps that you can link together?

if i have two of the same amps can i link them or are there only certain amps that you can link together?

They have to be strapable or some call it piggy backing.. So to answer your question you cant go out and get to plain jane amps and "link" them per-say. You can how ever run them to two seperate coils which I dont recomend gain setting becomes and issue.

What amps do you have?

Edited by sound=vibration

I have a mb quarts amp the onyx 1500 and I was thinking about getting another and I was just wondering if I could strap them

Which amps are you talking about?

ahh, you ninja! If it is the ONX 1.1500D, it is not strappable.

They have to be bridgeable or some call it piggy backing.. So to answer your question you cant go out and get to plain jane amps and "link" them per-say. You can how ever run them to two seperate coils which I dont recomend gain setting becomes and issue.

What amps do you have?

It's strapping, not bridging. Bridging is two channels of the same amp, strapping is two separate amplifiers.

Also, no reason not to run two separate amps to two separate coils of the same sub (or one amp per sub in other situations). The gain (and other) settings are easily matched with a basic DMM. Even then, they don't necessarily have to be identical. A minor variance won't audibly affect performance in the slightest.

Though I don't really understand the fascination with strapping in the first place. In 90% of situations where people want to "strap" they can just as easily run one amp per sub or one amp per coil with exactly the same result.

Ninja! Haha I'm thinking of getting am audio 2200 but if I could strap my mb quarts then I was gunna do that

They have to be bridgeable or some call it piggy backing.. So to answer your question you cant go out and get to plain jane amps and "link" them per-say. You can how ever run them to two seperate coils which I dont recomend gain setting becomes and issue.

What amps do you have?

It's strapping, not bridging. Bridging is two channels of the same amp, strapping is two separate amplifiers.

Also, no reason not to run two separate amps to two separate coils of the same sub (or one amp per sub in other situations). The gain (and other) settings are easily matched with a basic DMM. Even then, they don't necessarily have to be identical. A minor variance won't audibly affect performance in the slightest.

Though I don't really understand the fascination with strapping in the first place. In 90% of situations where people want to "strap" they can just as easily run one amp per sub or one amp per coil with exactly the same result.

Correct Correct correct I had a brain fart forgive me. Stapable is the correct term I edited above, However many make the gain setting difficult for themselve although it is a simple task and yes you are correct with everything stated above I just dont recomend running to seperate coils on the same sub to keep things simple for people. Again thanks for the correction!

ya you can either link/strap SOME amps together if they have the master/slave option.... or you can daisy chain amps which is what i do... if your amps have a rca input and output...then run one set of rcas from the cd player to #1 amps input... then run another set of rcas from #1 amps output to #2 amps input....

remote wire is the same... run one wire from cd player to #1 amps remote... then run a wire from the #1 amps remote to #2 amps remote... pretty simple actually...

Should be able to strap/link them with a Hifonics Maxx-Link.

Another completely unnecessary device.

Just match everything with a DMM, run one amp per sub, and save the $100 you would have spent on the Maxx-Link.

^^ It is really doesn't matter what you feed each coil. The only reason you want them matched is so that one amp doesn't run out of steam before the other. You could give one coil 1 watt and the other 1000 watts, as long as you don't exceed the thermal rating, it doesn't make a bit of difference.

Strapping (bridging) is pointless most of the time anyway. Efficiency drops, dampening drops and if you are trying to squeeze the lowest possible load out, you are just reducing parts life dramatically....