just sold my jl audio hd amps. right now i am running some old school soundstream stuff untill i settle on some new amps. should i go with the old school linear power or the new zed audio? looking for the ""SQL"" set up i run 12w7's,jl audio c5 comps up front and and jl audio c2 comps for rear fill. should i stay with old school stuff or go with the new class d stuff again.

Why did you sell the JL HD amps?

I would have kept the JL amps, but since you don't have them anymore, I'd likely opt for the Zed.

Just my opinion though.

well i had the hd600/4 and the hd750/1. they sound good but not sure im sold on the full range class d yet. and i needed more power for the w7's. plus i like to try different things.

well i had the hd600/4 and the hd750/1. they sound good but not sure im sold on the full range class d yet. and i needed more power for the w7's. plus i like to try different things.

The new ZED's are full range class d.

The new ZED's are full range class d.

not that i won't try clas d again i guess i want to see if i can get better sound than the hd's

I have read negative reviews on full range class D amps and thought them a little one sided. Then I got a chance to listen to an Alpine PDX2.150 driving a set of components on a sound board at a shop. The salesman was pointing out some "graininess" in the upper octaves that I "think" I might have heard. It could easily have been some induced background noise from the power supply or switchboard, the acoustics or background noise of the room and the rest of the crap in it, or just in my imagination since someone claimed to hear it. I have pretty much discounted any old issues with FR class D amps now. That being said, I can't imagine JL would have any quality of signal reproduction issues with the HD series amps for the price they cost. If they do then JL is starting down a bad path. I'm no nuthugger fan of JL, I'm just saying those amps are too expensive to allow the quality to slip.

So what is it about the quality of sound reproduction, or lack thereof, did you have and that you blamed on the amplifiers? Especially to get rid of them in what seems like such a hasty fashion. Any amplifier worth it's price will do its job, which is the increase the amplitude of the incoming signal without modifying it in any other way. The topology will not (or should not) have anything to do with the end result as far as that's concerned and selling your good amps for new ones just seems a little rash to me, I'm only trying to understand. Saying you're "not sold on full range class D yet" doesn't really explain much and to me really begs some better detail in what you seemed to have been missing in the sound that could be the amps fault.

I have read negative reviews on full range class D amps and thought them a little one sided. Then I got a chance to listen to an Alpine PDX2.150 driving a set of components on a sound board at a shop. The salesman was pointing out some "graininess" in the upper octaves that I "think" I might have heard. It could easily have been some induced background noise from the power supply or switchboard, the acoustics or background noise of the room and the rest of the crap in it, or just in my imagination since someone claimed to hear it. I have pretty much discounted any old issues with FR class D amps now. That being said, I can't imagine JL would have any quality of signal reproduction issues with the HD series amps for the price they cost. If they do then JL is starting down a bad path. I'm no nuthugger fan of JL, I'm just saying those amps are too expensive to allow the quality to slip.

So what is it about the quality of sound reproduction, or lack thereof, did you have and that you blamed on the amplifiers? Especially to get rid of them in what seems like such a hasty fashion. Any amplifier worth it's price will do its job, which is the increase the amplitude of the incoming signal without modifying it in any other way. The topology will not (or should not) have anything to do with the end result as far as that's concerned and selling your good amps for new ones just seems a little rash to me, I'm only trying to understand. Saying you're "not sold on full range class D yet" doesn't really explain much and to me really begs some better detail in what you seemed to have been missing in the sound that could be the amps fault.

like i said they sound good. but i started out when most amps were class a/b (i could be bias). far as the bass go there was not a iusse there. my hd 600/4 seemed to be very bright compared to my old school earthquake pa2040c. my tweeters are silk dome so i dont think the problem is there. sorry for the miss understanding but im not discrediting jl i love there products i love car audio just want a different sound. the hd are great amps to me want to try something new might even get the zed amps dont know want opinions what i should try next.

What is wrong with the Soundstream?

I used to run Soundstream back in the day, the ref amps bring back some good memories.

I dont think you are going to hear a difference between any of the amps you have, had, or are considering and unless you are going to double the power on them all you wont be any louder either.

Do you just have some $$$$$ burning a hole in your pocket? I can help you out if so. lol

The knock on class D is not related to reality. Just subjective nonsense. Same reason though I'd never again own anything from Linear Power. Those guys are so full of themselves for inappropriate snake oil reasons that their company disgusts me. They do not sound "better" than anything else and every single claim they've EVER made is of the subjective ilk with no foundation in science. Just huge e-boners. :(

That being said, I'd definitely generically recommend Mantz's stuff.

ive got a tru technology s44 for my mids so gonna see what i will use for the lows. got the s44 for a good price. thanks for the opinions