Sign in to follow this  
TermN8er

Question on single amp setup

Hello again.

I'm thinking of getting a single 4 channel amp to power my front stage plus one sub. The amps I'm considering are the Diamond Audio D6600.4, or the Arc Audio 4150XXK. Fronts would be getting on average 75 to 80 watts rms per side and the sub 300+ watts @ 4ohms.

My question is; are there any disadvantage or issues when going with a setup like this...one amp for the entire system? I really like the idea of a simple install, but, I'm more concerned with drawing too much power from my car's electrical system and I want to avoid that. I'm afraid that by adding a sub amp to my current D7 amp it would force me to add additional items such as caps, yellow tops and what not, and, I really want to avoid all that. I'm not really into SPL but I do want to feel those low bass notes when they hit. SQ is really what I'm after.

My front stage speakers are the HEX S600s and the sub I'll be getting would be the Image Dynamics IDQ10 or ID10.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Only real disadvantage is power and you would be surprised what your stock electrical system can take as long as you do the big 3.

IMO for a small daily install, a single amp set up is fine for smaller vehicles, I have an 8004 and it has plenty of power to run my entire system, but I want a little more power for my sub,

it really depends on your needs

Another disadvantage is you give up the ability to go active, unless you can live with the measly power off one channel of a 5ch.

idk, doesn't the JL amp have like

100w or so to the comps and like 500 to the sub?

well that is another amp, but its alot of wattage to be spread around wt one amp.

idk, doesn't the JL amp have like

100w or so to the comps and like 500 to the sub?

well that is another amp, but its alot of wattage to be spread around wt one amp.

I'm planning on changing from the hex to image dynamics chameleons, the 2 ohm version so they will get 160 watts a side and my sub about 320 watts. I think an IDQ10 or ID12 would be happy with that power and overall I would have a decent sounding system. Am I on the right track with this?

If I really want my system to really hit with authority and still maintain SQ, I can always use the Arc for the fronts and bridge the D7 to power an IDmax 12. Oh yeah, forgot, there's my car's electrical system to deal with. Man, this stuff can really get expensive.

Peace!