onebadmonte

Will it blend?

Arent those jbl subs only 800wrms?

I'm not seeing a problem...

15.5v is fine for a agm 12v battery. High voltage and low amperage is a good way to charge, at least from talking to Nick from Fi and a few others.

From what the Deka dealer told me when I bought my batteries, charging at these higher voltages will cause excess gas to build up inside the battery. Since they are sealed batteries the gas will balloon the case and short the plates. They will not warranty a battery if it's been ballooned. There is even a label on my Dekas stating do not exceed 14.7 volts when charging.

In the case of high voltage/low amperage vs low voltage/high amperage what best for charging a sealed AGM battery?

Right now I'm playing super safe as I don't want to ruin $1200 worth of batteries. At the same time I don't want to waste all day running back and forth to the charger to make sure everything is fine. I was hoping just setting the XP charger overnight will have the bank nicely charged and ready for a show. :)

Nice upgrade! GTi is a great driver

:+1:

Arent those jbl subs only 800wrms?

I'm not seeing a problem...

Idk much about the subs thats why im curious, but it seems that a warhorse would be overkill or unnecessary. I guess they like some power?

15.5v is fine for a agm 12v battery. High voltage and low amperage is a good way to charge, at least from talking to Nick from Fi and a few others.

From what the Deka dealer told me when I bought my batteries, charging at these higher voltages will cause excess gas to build up inside the battery. Since they are sealed batteries the gas will balloon the case and short the plates. They will not warranty a battery if it's been ballooned. There is even a label on my Dekas stating do not exceed 14.7 volts when charging.

In the case of high voltage/low amperage vs low voltage/high amperage what best for charging a sealed AGM battery?

Right now I'm playing super safe as I don't want to ruin $1200 worth of batteries. At the same time I don't want to waste all day running back and forth to the charger to make sure everything is fine. I was hoping just setting the XP charger overnight will have the bank nicely charged and ready for a show. :)

I hear ya, I'd rather play it safe then toast everything too. Just heard Nick talk about it numerous times and a few others like Shizzzon and they didn't have any issues. :ughdunno:

I use a big Schumacher and it goes over 15v. So far, I have not had any problem charging Shuriken batteries, I have no experience with Deka though. I always use a low amperage on any battery unless I'm trying to get a vehicle started.

Here's a quick pic of mine

101_0593.jpg

i have a charger kinda like steves, it has a AGM selection on it.. and it seems to cycle fairly quickly, also i have never seen it go over 14 volts. perhaps the voltage is why it kicks off and then back on.. to ensure it does not go over 14.7

Of course, everytime I see this thread I think of:

http://www.willitblend.com/

LOL! I was waiting till someone posted that. :) I figured a little spin on the topic title would get some laughs since I was trying to get the subs to blend with the mid-bass. :P

i have a charger kinda like steves, it has a AGM selection on it.. and it seems to cycle fairly quickly, also i have never seen it go over 14 volts. perhaps the voltage is why it kicks off and then back on.. to ensure it does not go over 14.7

I think that's what makes it an AGM charger, it doesn't go over 14.7 volts. My big DieHard charger doesn't have an AGM option. I haven't checked to see what voltage it charges at either so I can say it goes over 14.7 volts, but I'm pretty sure it does. I have looked at other chargers and have seen where they explicitly say not for AGM batteries.

I am curious to hear what amp rating some are using on their AGM batteries?

2 amps

on mine i use it at 6 or 12 with the AGM setting.

I also use the 10 amp setting when trying to get a good charge fairly quickly.

2 amps

:P 2 amps isn't going to do any harm. I run 2 amps across my tongue in the morning just to get the day started. :P

on mine i use it at 6 or 12 with the AGM setting.

With the charger set to charge AGM batteries, I don't think it'll charge over 14.7 volts.

I also use the 10 amp setting when trying to get a good charge fairly quickly.

Now we're talking. How long did you charge them for at this amperage? And the batteries haven't ballooned or lost capacity? That's interesting.

Thanks for all the good info fellas. :drink40:

I didn't even get to hear the DD and you already went and switched it out. :drink40:

I leave mine on AGM 2 amp and it goes over.

Of course, everytime I see this thread I think of:

http://www.willitblend.com/

My blender > all

Indeed. Vitamix > Blendtec

Pfft, I rock Gemco

Well fellas I got the setup all buttoned up and finished last night. I did an initial smoke test and everything past. To play it save I turned the gain down a whisker and adjusted the power output from "Full Tilt" to 75%. I popped in my flavor of the month song "World Wide Chopper" by the ever lovable Techn9ne and gave it a whirl. I set the volume on my Alpine at 20 and gave it a listen. I've never been a fan of the intro of this song. The first couple bass hits and the explosion there after sound like crap. It sounded like crap with the DD, and they sound like crap with the JBLs. :\ Following the explosion, there is about 1 minute and 20 seconds worth of higher bass tones, 40-50hz stuff I'd say, but never measured. The tones in the song are in little burst. The JBLs rang them out with authority. Feel it in the back of your head stuff. Output wise they are on par with the DDs. The JBLs really sounded good. There is a slight pause with the bass in the song. Then comes the good stuff, a plethora of lowwww bass tones. I'm guessing stuff in the low 20hz up to mid 30hz. The DDz would shake everything, like grab you by the shoulders and give you a good shaking even at this low level. The JBLs came short of this, I mean you could feel it in the eardrums but not in the seat backs. They got after it, but not in the violent ways that the DDs do. No meter scores to report just yet, but they will be down for sure. I'm gonna jam to some Spoon on the way home and see how they do. That's more of what I listen to on a day to day basis. :)