splxtreme

Sub Choice?

I've been set on trying to get a AE AV-12x, but they are so far behind that, I don't think I'll be able to get one anytime soon. Does anyone have any suggestions for a sub that works best in a small, sealed enclosure. i don't have an amp yet, so power isn't of concern, and I'm looking for something with great SQ, but I do like to crank it up once in a while.

thanks for any input.

I'm looking for something with great SQ, but I do like to crank it up once in a while.

you need to share more details than that...by a lot

splxtreme wants a SQ sub... odd.

splxtreme wants a SQ sub... odd.

:roflmao:

With the amazing amount of detail you gave us... Maybe a Fi Q.. or, JL W6?

ha ha ha guys! Old username. I use to do spl comps so, not that, that means anything I guess. Good way to make myself sound like a noob though, anyways...

Like I said, power isn't of concern. Sealed enclosure preferred due to space for kids stuff. If a can get away with a small ported enclosure I'd do it, but they tend not to be too small. I do have have an 06 Trailblazer, and would like the box to not be larger than 2cubes net.

I listen to a lot of rock, but i still have that part of me from the old days, so I like to crank up the bass once in a while, (bass mekanic, bass 305, some rap/hip-hop). Looking for a sub that has great transient response, something that will easily play to 80hz. I've tried a few subs that people called SQ subs, such as the RE XXX 05 series, ED AV2 (I know you guys don't like ED, and now I know why), I did have a DD 9512c that I did like a while back, but they are just too expensive for me now. But, most, especially the ED didn't play above 63hz. Tried various things so I know it wasn't cancellation. But...

I want something that will blend well with my fronts, so a sub that is transparent is my main concern. i know most of this will also depend on the enclosure, install, blah, blah,... I just don't have as much experience with the SQ line of subs, i'm sure there will be some learning curve. I'm getting to the point where I'd rather have a clean sounding system than the bang the car next to me.

I'm also on somewhat of a budget, so preferably a sub that is no more than 400, but ideally around 250. I've been eyeing up the SSA Xcon's, but I seem to find the reviews that state even a JL w6 is better as far as SQ is concerned.

I'm planning on getting a different front amp, but probably keeping my fronts, which are the DLS up6i's.

I'm not competing so I don't need to go crazy modifying, even though I'd like too. Just want something clean, smooth, and something that will reproduce every note as close to the way it is supposed to be, with the budget I have.

I've also just found some fronts that do seem interesting from Audible Physics, so maybe in the future I'll sell my DLS's. A post for a later time.

Hopefully I covered everything this time. I know all this is subjective, but ideas are always welcome. Thanks!

w6 vs xcon? totally different subs...

i've heard a icon 12" ported, sounds very good and can get loud. you could do a 10 ported to save space.. maybe two 10s or 12s sealed.

What are the fronts you are trying to blend with and what processing etc do you have?

What are the fronts you are trying to blend with and what processing etc do you have?

I currently have the DLS up6i's, SA SAX-125.2, and a Kenwood DDX-912.

Even googling that Kenwood I come up with nothing...

Even a simple 10" sealed will blend fine. No need to go overboard on the "SQ" driver. In fact, if you do, you'll probably end up harming it by turning it up too much.

Even googling that Kenwood I come up with nothing...

Even a simple 10" sealed will blend fine. No need to go overboard on the "SQ" driver. In fact, if you do, you'll probably end up harming it by turning it up too much.

oops. It's a Kenwood DDX-712.

There is way more to a SQ setup than the sub. I think you know that. Install is of upmost importance. A great sub that is not integrated with a well installed and tuned front stage will not sound it's best. Really focus on your front stage install and do the best you can with the money and time that you have for it.

I have owned both a 15" XCON and 13W6. By design, the 15" XCON has more cone area and will handle three times more wrms than the 13W6. IMO the 13W6 sounds better than the XCON. The XCON is louder and it's a really brutal driver; it moves a lot of air. Something that I love about the W6 is that at very low volume I have noticeable bass, XCON didnt come alive until 3/4 to max volume.

In my current install I have my 13W6 low passed at 80hz @12db. That is higher than a normally cross at but due to midbass driver limitations 80hz sounds best. I am using a JL XD600/1 amp.

Enclosure size is 2.1^3ft tuned to 31hz. As much as I hate to go grocery shopping I have plenty of room in my trunk(I drive a small Hyundai) for $150 in groceries.

There is way more to a SQ setup than the sub. I think you know that. Install is of upmost importance. A great sub that is not integrated with a well installed and tuned front stage will not sound it's best. Really focus on your front stage install and do the best you can with the money and time that you have for it.

I have owned both a 15" XCON and 13W6. By design, the 15" XCON has more cone area and will handle three times more wrms than the 13W6. IMO the 13W6 sounds better than the XCON. The XCON is louder and it's a really brutal driver; it moves a lot of air. Something that I love about the W6 is that at very low volume I have noticeable bass, XCON didnt come alive until 3/4 to max volume.

In my current install I have my 13W6 low passed at 80hz @12db. That is higher than a normally cross at but due to midbass driver limitations 80hz sounds best. I am using a JL XD600/1 amp.

Enclosure size is 2.1^3ft tuned to 31hz. As much as I hate to go grocery shopping I have plenty of room in my trunk(I drive a small Hyundai) for $150 in groceries.

How is the midbass output on the xcon? Do you think a larger enclosure would have boosted the low end of the xcon, to make it more noticeable? I'm trying to find something soon. It seems every time i find something I want, it is no longer available or the price skyrockets. i.e., MASS 2012, RE XXX, SI Mag, and now AE AV's :(

I had the XCON mounted in a 4.0^3ft enclosure tuned to 32hz with lots of port area. This is SSA's optimal enclosure size for this diver iirc. I was using a Crescendo 3kwp with the gains adjusted to approx 1800wrms. I later set the the gain to 2250wrms.

I think of midbass frequencies being ~100hz to ~300hz. I had the XCON low passed at 60hz with ssf at 25hz.

With that setup the XCON was very peaky. Noticable peaks between 35-40hz. Before 35 and after 40 it definitely dropped off considerably. All my sound measurements are done by ear. Meter would probably agree :ughdunno: I did not feel that the sub bass system was efficient either.

Next year, when I have more time, I will be redoing my install. I have all the components just no time. I plan on revisiting the XCON but in a sealed enclosure this time around. I will be powering it with a DC 2.0K. I am anxious to hear it.

What I liked most about the XCON was it's ability to get loud without adding noticable distortion. Like I said it moves a lot of air too :) Hopefully a sealed system will smooth out those nasty peaks.

This is my opinion. Gather opinions from other people as well.

I had the XCON mounted in a 4.0^3ft enclosure tuned to 32hz with lots of port area. This is SSA's optimal enclosure size for this diver iirc. I was using a Crescendo 3kwp with the gains adjusted to approx 1800wrms. I later set the the gain to 2250wrms.

I think of midbass frequencies being ~100hz to ~300hz. I had the XCON low passed at 60hz with ssf at 25hz.

With that setup the XCON was very peaky. Noticable peaks between 35-40hz. Before 35 and after 40 it definitely dropped off considerably. All my sound measurements are done by ear. Meter would probably agree :ughdunno: I did not feel that the sub bass system was efficient either.

Next year, when I have more time, I will be redoing my install. I have all the components just no time. I plan on revisiting the XCON but in a sealed enclosure this time around. I will be powering it with a DC 2.0K. I am anxious to hear it.

What I liked most about the XCON was it's ability to get loud without adding noticable distortion. Like I said it moves a lot of air too :) Hopefully a sealed system will smooth out those nasty peaks.

This is my opinion. Gather opinions from other people as well.

So, if you had adjusted the low pass to say 80 hz, it probably wouldn't have made much of a difference? Just curious as a lot of the long xmax drivers seem to have a sharp roll-off after 60hz, and with my current setup, I need to have the low pass around 70hz.

There would have been a HUGE difference in output from 35hz to 80hz. Some songs at higher bass frequencies like 45-60hz ouput was heard then a bass note would play at 35hz and would be four times louder if not more.

The W6 in comparison is very flat spl wise.

That's enclosure dependent and install dependent. Either way, not sure you are looking at the right things to help your install. If I were you and my goal were SQ and only had that budget, I'd forego the sub and spend it all up front. Be your biggest bang for the buck. Realistically having a sub only play the last octave is all you should need and its the least important part of the recording.