Sign in to follow this  
Dan208

Small sub(s) in SUV.

I've decided that my days of trying to rattle windows and shake off mirrors are over, plus I get tired of having to take the box out whenever I need the room. Now all I'm wanting is a little bottom end to my music.

What I've been looking at is some of the cheaper, smaller subs on Parts Express. I'm trying to figure out if it would be better to try and fit a single sub up front somewhere (under the seat, etc) or do multiple subs in the back in the spare tire well? The only thing that concerns me about subs in the spare tire well is that since they are so small and so far back, there won't be much output all the way up front (maybe this thinking is wrong :ughdunno: ).

I plan on doing some measuring later this afternoon to see what I can fit and where, but I was hoping someone could chime in with a little direction first. Thoughts?

An Cherokee isn't a large SUV but I'm happy with a single 10" sub, in a sealed box, running on 350w, glassed in the left side cubby hole. Depending on musical taste it may or may not be enough. For me it has plenty of output. Sure, it won't rattle eyeballs but it plays music the way it's meant to be played. With correct tuning you don't even know I have a sub.

Personally I'm not a fan of front subs. Most SQ snobs do it to high-pass the midbass higher and get get the sub to do some midbass duty and get rid of door rattles from incorrect door treatments.

If you are looking at PE, check out Dayton's HO subs and the Hi-Vi SP10

An Cherokee isn't a large SUV but I'm happy with a single 10" sub, in a sealed box, running on 350w, glassed in the left side cubby hole. Depending on musical taste it may or may not be enough. For me it has plenty of output. Sure, it won't rattle eyeballs but it plays music the way it's meant to be played. With correct tuning you don't even know I have a sub.

Personally I'm not a fan of front subs. Most SQ snobs do it to high-pass the midbass higher and get get the sub to do some midbass duty and get rid of door rattles from incorrect door treatments.

If you are looking at PE, check out Dayton's HO subs and the Hi-Vi SP10

I was looking at the Hi-Vi a while back when it was on sale. Should have bought it because it was a killer price.

Right now I'm running a single 10" Orion XTR. It has plenty of output and the box is fairly small (just under a cube) but we still run out of room pretty quickly if we do grocery shopping and such.

Fiberglass it somewhere. This is how mine is installed, never bothered me once:

IMG_5568.jpg

I do agree with the center console idea. The front subs that tick me off are those in the passenger side footwell.

What SUV is it ?

I was thinking about trying something above one of the rear tire wells but didn't know how side firing would affect the output. I have a 2008 Saturn Vue, so it's on the smaller side of the SUV's.

What's in the pic can do 128.0dB all sealed up on the termlab. Decent output I'd say.