Sign in to follow this  
sundownz

SA-8s SQ Victory !

Congrats to Jon Kennedy for winning IASCA Southeast Regionals SQ in the PRO class with a pair of SA-8s -- he is a part of Team First Amendment.

He also won a Bass Boxing challenge presented by Team Epsilon/PPI against Chad Romano -- a friendly challenge, of course! They plan to continue the friendly challenge at SBN this year :thumbsup:

Jon runs PPI amplifiers and an old school Boston 3-way set.

I am going to get some more details from him on the actual bass boxing scores and the install but for now I'll share the photos I have -- the box is a 4th order that fits under his truck seats.

DSC04427.JPG

DSC04428.JPG

DSC04429.JPG

DSC04663.JPG

DSC04664.JPG

DSC04665.JPG

DSC00571.JPG

DSC00579.JPG

Sundown.jpg

Truck.jpg

Trophy.JPG

Man those sealed parts of that 4th order are so tiny, the sub hardly fits ^^. Must have sounded awesome, and looks super clean, Congrats on the win

Looks like his 3-way is door mounted

Looks great

Sorry about the delay (I have been super busy @ work lately).....

Super excited about winning SE Regionals in the Pro Class....granted not much competition in that division but happy nontheless.

My main focus was the challenge issued by Chad in Bass Boxing. SQ vehicle vs SQ vehicle...

Of note Chad's car is fully factory backed by PPI and has all new top of the line gear and was installed by Gary Biggs.

My amps are 12 year old PPI Power class (1x 1800.2 and 2x 2400.2) I scored from Craigslist and an Alpine Head unit 9861 I also bought from Craigslist and an Alpine EQ (ERAG-320) that is from 1996. I also run a set of Boston pro 3 ways I have used for over 10 years. My goal was to win using PPI's older line and the element of suprise....yep SUNDOWN! I truly enjoyed putting the stickers on the side windows proudly the day of the show. Felt like I was arming a nuclear device LOL!

The final Bass boxing average for my setup was 121.5 to Chad's 113.6 (Average DB over the 30 second round playing music. (Chad is the team captain for Precision Power/Soundstream)

The majority of the round I lead 120 to Chad's 110..... Of note I have not found the best frequency for the box yet. It definitely gets low but my understanding is that if I had picked better music the total would be higher... The best we can figure is that the box would do DB wise a 137/138 with the power I have going to it (8-900 watts).

Chad can do 127 for a burst so assuming the same proportional gain our guess as to a 137 or so is realistic. (This is with the subs barely moving relative to the level generated)

WIth the fourth order power handling is increased quite a bit.

On to tuning..... The box is built roughly to a 1 to 3 ratio Exact airspace is a bit of a debate because we literally built the box on the fly measuring cutting and recalculating to fit directly under my rear bench seat. Insofar as port I wold love to say an exact dimension but we cut to fit the depth of the box rounded over the edges of the port and crossed our fingers....My builders theory is to alway build bigger and then take away airspace and or port till the desired tuning is achieved. But the assumptions are correct the sealed sections are quite small and we had to reverse fire the subs into the ported section due to physical size of the drivers. I have always had sealed enclosures for the most part and am having fun with my new 4th order toy.

The amount of air movement @ the port is great. We are thinking that with enough power this could be a 144-45 box.

My next goal is to upgrade the amp to a 2500d.

Insofar as SQ goals.....I would also like to upgrade the 2 (2 channel amps I have) to likely a pair of 125's and then go all out on the front stage with the incoming Sundown Components..... I really would like to see a (4)" driver and 3 way set and would love to pioneer this application. Or if need be could dash mount a set of the 6's and tweets and then run a second set of 6's as midbass only in the doors or kicks.

I have enlightened quite a few competitors, friends and car audio people as to Sundown and how amazing these drivers (SA series 8's) are.

But what is really cool is that you can SQ the subs right before you answer a bass boxing challenge then go on to jump over to DB and be equally competitive.

I felt very priviledged to not only bring home a Trophy from Regionals for Sound Quality but also to say that I left with my pride intact from the bass boxing challenge.

Next up is the Fall festival event this coming Saturday in South Florida (a 2x points event).... http://fallfestivalcarshow.homestead.com/

If you look @ the website and flyer my truck is in the upper left hand corner of the flyer card. I will be Judging and competing in Pro Class SQ @ Fall festival

I will also be representing Sundown @ Kings of La Calle ...a huge car show in Orlando sponsored by a big latin radio station in that area. I will be Judging and Showing @ Kings of La Calle. http://www.zammypromotions.com/KING_OF_LA_CALLE_2.html

Again thanks for all the encouragement and I appreciate all of the positive comments on the forum and facebook.

I am happy to represent and show that Sundown is a great company with amazing support and great product.

Jon Kennedy

Edited by Sundown5150

Notes on my current front stage...

Boston Acoustics 6.53 with all (3) drivers in the stock door location. However I also have an addition set of .5 tweeters in the A-Pillars as well.

I have always liked old school Boston Pro and for years ran the .4 series as well.

I am really looking forward to the Sundown Components coming out and would love to install a set.

The quality of the construction and the customer service is great!

Sign in to follow this