Sign in to follow this  
Tarpon87

sa-8 box help

I have an 01 firebird and Im looking into getting a ported box built for a single SA-8 D4. There is a space in the driver side trunk area where the factory cd changer used to be, im hoping to use this space. I will not be competing in anything, just want it to sound good for daily use. What size should the enclosure be, port length and what should it be tuned to for everyday use. If there is any other info I need to know before bringing it to the builder, Im all ears.

Thanks,

.6 cubic feet net after all displacements. 14 square inches of port area. Tune to 35 hertz.

Net= minus sub, port, and bracing

If the box was 1 foot with sub, port, and bracing. All equalled .4 foot then you would have .6 foot net.

Net= minus sub, port, and bracing

If the box was 1 foot with sub, port, and bracing. All equalled .4 foot then you would have .6 foot net.

makes sense, thanks so much for your help

.6 is small unless your putting alot of power to it. i have mine at .8ish tuned to 35 running rated power and it loves it and sounds great and loud :fing34:

for now ill be using an alpine pdx 1.600 since i have one left over. The area I'd like the box to go is pretty small, I guess I'd be looking at an external port. How would that change, if at all, my box size port length etc. Sorry Im new to ported enclosures.

for now ill be using an alpine pdx 1.600 since i have one left over. The area I'd like the box to go is pretty small, I guess I'd be looking at an external port. How would that change, if at all, my box size port length etc. Sorry Im new to ported enclosures.

Heres a couple pics of the space im looking at, it may be that what I have in my head is not possible, or at least not possible to do and make look clean.

heres a pic of the cubby where the cd changer was

VA7009.jpg

It has roughly 12" of depth

VA7010.jpg

And 12" of height

VA7012.jpg

just a couple size reference shots with the SA-8 in the space

VA7016.jpg

VA7017.jpg

I miss typed in my original post, the speaker is a dual 2ohm, not a dual 4 as I was originally going to use two subs. The alpine pdx 1.600 says its output at 2ohm and 4 ohm is the same so I will have to just wire the SA-8 for a 4ohm load. Would this have any effect on performance if it does indeed recieve the same output at 4ohm as it would at 2ohm?

It looks like it belongs there.with the pdx I would run with .6 cubes looks like it will fit fine

I have no first hand experience with it setup to run at 4ohm's, that was just what I read from the alpine website, I guess you should take all power claims like that with a grain of salt.

Heres whats printed on the website

Overview

Class-D

1/2 Channel Operation

Stackable Installation Design

RMS Power (at 14.4V THD+N, 20Hz - 200Hz)

Per channel into 4 ohms: 600W x 1 (0.08% THD)

Per channel into 2 ohms: 600W x 1

Same Power Output - 2Ω or 4Ω Configuration

PDX amplifiers have the unique capability to deliver the same power output regardless of 2Ω and 4Ω loads. This provides the ultimate in system flexibility and subwoofer configuration diversity

Worst case I could just buy a D4 sub if we thought the equal power output claim was BS

I would run it at 4 and worry about a d4 later if need be.I got the pdx100.4 on my mids and its strong at 4ohm

I would run it at 4 and worry about a d4 later if need be.I got the pdx100.4 on my mids and its strong at 4ohm

Sign in to follow this